Computer Dead [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Computer Dead

kprm77
11-02-02, 06:55 PM
The on board computer in my 9000 Carlsson seems to have flickered out for good.
It had gone off before - a swift tap on top of the dashboard usually did the trick. However it has now gone completely, no matter how many times I tap the dash.

The fact that it came back on with a tap before, gives me the impression it may be a loose wire / connection behind the dash somewhere.

Anyone any ideas? This isn't a showstopper, so if it is likely to be expensive, I'd rather spend some dosh at Abbott Racing than finding out how much MPG I'm doing!

The rest of the display seems fine as far as I can see - the problem seems confined to the computer display.

TIA.

ep gio
11-02-02, 07:07 PM
I would not know anything about the cause of the break down but, if this can help, I remember I saw quite a lot computers last november going around in junkyards (over there in Great Britain) and even sold one on e-bay for few dollars, 10-12.

PS: If you find one at a junkyard, perhaps you might say that it is just a clock and
they will charge you less. I mean, that is not fair but sometimes they are so ugly that that could be allowed!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ep gio on Feb 12, 2002 12:32am ]</font>

kprm77
12-02-02, 08:35 AM
I suppose that's worth a try if it comes to it. I'd probably flinch at the cost of labour though if it's a dashboard out jobbie!

jimbob
14-02-02, 06:31 AM
Kevin
It might be worth trying to replace the bulb/bulbs? which illuminate the computer readout. To get to the back of the gauges though, you have to remove the top of the dash which isn't too difficult. The screws holding it on are under the speaker grills.
Jimbob

kprm77
14-02-02, 08:10 AM
I may give this a try if I'm feeling highly DIY one day.

Must admit I have already spent about 3 hours on a failed attempt to change the oil! Didn't even get the sump plug off!

That problem was down to not being able to jack the car high up enough to gain access, and then a knurled sump plug finished me off. (Had a new one to replace it too).

jimbob
14-02-02, 01:03 PM
I must admit, the oil filter looks a bugger to get off if your'e not using a lift and rounded off sump bungs are a nightmare.(hammer and chisel time)
If your Saab tool kit is still all present, the torx screwdriver will fit all the screws you need to undo for the dash top removal. I'm a bit sad really, I can't rest until I've pulled something to pieces to see how it works. I worry about putting it back together afterwards.
Good luck if you do attemp it.
Jimbob

ep gio
20-02-02, 10:59 AM
Kevin,
Re: trip computer,

Have a look at this on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1806827468&amp;r=0&amp;t=0

Cheers,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ep gio on Feb 20, 2002 3:59pm ]</font>

ep gio
20-02-02, 11:02 AM
Sorry, I read afterwards that the seller doesn't accept international bidders. One would need an American address...

kprm77
20-02-02, 12:30 PM
Gio,

Just seen your mail -thanks anyway!

jimbob
24-02-02, 08:38 AM
Kevin
I've got a customers 9000 in for some repairs over the next day or two including the computer not working. I've just found that if you shine a torch into the computer display with the ignition on, you can just about see the LCD numbers. I'm assuming that if you can see the numbers then it's only the back light bulb that needs replacing. If you can't see the numbers, then the whole lots had it.
BTW my old work horse is now on display in the gallery. Yours has nothing to worry about though.
Cheers
Jimbob

kprm77
24-02-02, 04:41 PM
Thanks Jimbob - I'll give that a go with the torch.

Now't wrong with your 9000 - nice colour too :wink: