All Fogged Up [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: All Fogged Up

rabbit21
15th January 2008, 09:20 PM
Hi can someone help me out? m My daughters 9000 windows will be perfectly clear for 15 to 20 mins. than all of a sudden bam!!! windows fog up than you play around and can get them to clear up but not on drivers side windshield . There is no coolant leak on floor no smell of antifreeze inside and it wipes off so i dont think it is the heater core. possible recirilation problem ? also transmission feel or is staying in second gear at stop go to accellerate drops into first and goes fine , shifts great ,no slip, i changed fluid twice this week . if you manully put into first at stop its fine. any help ? or is it time to by a ford. thanks

Superaero
16th January 2008, 02:02 PM
My 97 Aero had a stuck recirculation flap motor giving the same symptoms.

Open the hood, take off the plastic cover at the base of the windshield and you should be able to see the recirc flap operate (or not) when you select and deselect that button on the ACC controller on the dash.

The flap rises from the firewall to close off outside air and drops back to allow outside air. When it sticks "closed" you can see the flap.
Dunno about automatics, I drive a manual.

Don't buy a Ford under any circumstances. Buy a Mazda, same engineering, much better quality.

rabbit21
16th January 2008, 05:27 PM
Thank you very much for the info, will try this tomorrow as iam having tranny looked at today. I hope to get some good news My daughter loves this car.

tona955
16th January 2008, 07:51 PM
Hi
I have a 1994 Aero with a similer issue...the car has been stood outsode for almost 2 years, I have just rebuilt the engine and am using it 2 or 3 times a week, when i go to the car after a few days it is all misty inside with water drops on the inside.

As i drive it it does dry out, the car runs great but if i stop for an hour or so and come back to it I have water droplets on the inside, no wet carpets or water leaks, outside temperature these days is about -2 here in Scotland.

As I use the car more will this correct itself? I will do the check already suggested in this thread, just in case.

Cheers

Kermit
17th January 2008, 05:04 AM
I find my 9-5 mists up inside if i leave the ACC on recirc when i turn the engine off. If i leave it on "outside air" when switching off i have no problems.

Superaero
18th January 2008, 07:50 PM
The 9000 sold in North America closes the recirc door every time you switch off the ignition and then opens it again when you restart. You cannot leave the recirc switch on, but you can program the ACC somewhat. Whetehr you can program it to do that I don't know.

Another source of misting problems is clogged drains in the heater area. There are two under the heater box above the steering rack. There is also a separate one for the AC evaporator which drains into the heaterbox area.

rabbit21
18th January 2008, 08:59 PM
Hi guys, IAM Looking at door right now it seems to be stuck in the up position which i assume is the recir , which would mean it is in recir , , so to get outside air it should be down ? right?

rabbit21
18th January 2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks in advance superaero.

rabbit21
18th January 2008, 10:05 PM
put flap in down position and no more fog , motor must be bad . thanks again

Superaero
19th January 2008, 07:48 PM
That is the classic failure mode. Replacing that motor is not easy due to the fact that one of the three machine screws holding it in is in the back where you need a mirror to see it and a magnetic screwdriver with a flexy joint to actually get it off and back in. The two obvious screws make it look easy but be warned it isn't. An interim fix would be to unplug the motor when it is "open".

marvinstockman
19th January 2008, 09:38 PM
Remove cover to false bulkhead, and see if flap operates properly. Drive car with cover off, and see if flap is closed when windows fog up.