Leather cleaner/conditioner prefrences. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Leather cleaner/conditioner prefrences.

dak1975
06-01-08, 12:59 PM
So what do you use?

What do you like about the products you chose?

What other things did you try before you found one you liked?

So some cleaners/conditioners work better on different shades of leather than others?

How often do you clean/condition?

Does cleaner/conditioner ever "go bad"? (we have some stuff, 'Mothers' I think, that hasn't been used since the 330ci got totalled in 2005...sigh)

bauklo
06-01-08, 01:28 PM
meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner
really, really good stuff imo.

teblhasa
06-01-08, 02:07 PM
I second that, I really like the Meguiar's. I was using the Gold Class Leather Wipes and my seats got super slick. Otherwise try to get a leather cleaner with natural oils, it will be healthier for the leather. What I've done in the past was get seat covers for the summer so you don't have to worry so much about the UV rays fading/cracking the leather.

Andy C
06-01-08, 03:26 PM
I use either Meguiars Gold Class or Autoglym, and they both work really well!

JonV
06-01-08, 06:45 PM
I'll throw Lexol into the Hat.

Nickshu
06-01-08, 06:48 PM
Lexol is great stuff, especially the spray-on/wipe-off formula. I highly recommend. A little hard to find...can order from Eeuroparts.com

mohooba93
06-01-08, 07:41 PM
meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner
really, really good stuff imo.

yeh i use the wipes though sometimes the seats dont absorb it and if they dont i usually just wet a microfiber cloth, and lightly go over the leather and then dry with a clean microfiber cloth, to assure my seats dont stay greasy and shiny.

bb03aero
06-01-08, 10:20 PM
Lexol is great stuff, especially the spray-on/wipe-off formula. I highly recommend. A little hard to find...can order from Eeuroparts.com

Lexol is my vote too!. I brought the leather in a 14-year-old BMW back from beyond the grave with it.

I find it locally at Pep Boys

TROLLhattenschatten
06-01-08, 10:57 PM
My fiance bought me the armour-all stuff in the brown bottle.
how is this stuff?

JonV
07-01-08, 12:36 AM
Lexol is my vote too!. I brought the leather in a 14-year-old BMW back from beyond the grave with it.

I find it locally at Pep Boys

It did wonders for the real leather on my 88! two step, cleaner and conditioner.

awjones
07-01-08, 08:41 AM
Sonus leather cleaner + conditioner. weird smell when you first apply, but smells wonderful after 10mins or so....great stuff:cheesy:

dak1975
07-01-08, 10:08 AM
I found some of that Lexol spray and wipe stuff in my garage you guys were talking about. Although, it's pretty old, like 2005, and of course was stored in my noninsulated circa 1948 garage, so it was exposed to extreme heat and cold.

Is there a shelf life for these things?

weiVA
07-01-08, 12:36 PM
It sounds unconventional, but Ikea "Absorb" leather cleaner/conditioner. It's a two part process whereby you apply the cleaner then 15 minutes later apply the conditioner. Meguire's Gold Class and other wipes left the seating too slick/darkened whereas Absorb seemed to lighten my charcoal interior back to what I remember new looked like. The conditioner soaks in (30 minutes unfortunately) more and isn't too slick.

zim2dive
07-01-08, 12:45 PM
To take this to a more basic level... as a new leather owner.. how often do you guys use the leather treatments?

Mike

Cosmicflash
07-01-08, 01:24 PM

My vote as well.

Along with Pep Boys either AutoZone or Advanced carries it--forget which one or both.
Several years ago it was hard to find.

baco99
07-01-08, 01:41 PM
Zaino Brothers leather conditioner or Zymol for my cars. doesn't leave as much of a "fake leather" smell as some other brands.

baco99
07-01-08, 01:42 PM
To take this to a more basic level... as a new leather owner.. how often do you guys use the leather treatments?

Mike

once every 4-6 months for me. i generally keep my seats clean and dry, so they stay pretty soft.

saabexprt
07-01-08, 03:20 PM
I've tried a lot. My preference in this order:

Griot's Garage Leather Car - The consistency is very thick and really lasts. It has the best smell of them all. Doesn't leave the seat "shiny" just very clean, and natural looking. You cannot buy this in a retail store. Only on their site.
Aside -
I would have to say Griott's Garage makes all around the best car care products on the market. The stuff isn't cheap but what ever is that is good in quality?

Lexol - Good all around performance and smell. There is a leather conditioner and leather cleaner.

Meguires (sp) - probably my least favorite besides some of the bottom shelf stuff. The smell is funky and it's a little too thin in consistency (at least the spray).

I clean and condition my leather about every month or whenever I need to clean it, I'll follow up automatically with a conditioning.

Schu
07-01-08, 03:28 PM
I used Gliptone on my old 9000. Haven't done anything to my 9-3 (yet).

bb03aero
07-01-08, 03:35 PM
I clean as needed and usually condition 2-3 times a year. not once a month, but I'm no expert. :lol:

saabexprt
07-01-08, 04:01 PM
I'm sure once a month is overkill but darnit I love the way it makes the inside of my car smell, and I've seen leather seats that develop stress cracks and I'd rather over do it than not enough.

I'd say if you condition your leather at all, you're in the minority of car owners.

I probably also wash and wax my car way more than recommended but I am a car nut and always have been. I suppose it comes from having parents who were car crazy.