SaabCentral Forums banner

Warping rotors.

835 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Diosnoche 
#1 ·
Im kind of split into a decision.....

I keep hearing certain things so
I just want to make sure....

I heard to never put new pads on old rotors.

Then I heard that new pads should be accompanied by new rotors...

Now that I have new pads and new rotors,I was told
that with new pads and new rotors, the new rotors
will be warped easily when I go to start using my car again.
Is this true. ??? I mean if I drive normally,
no autocross or racing or whatever, then I dont see
necessarily why my rotors should warp....

#2 ·
The average Joe can do quite well with new pads on old rotors;but Wealthy William must have his new rotors(titanium,slotted), new calipers(epoxy powder coated), new wheels($400 ea), new ultra low profile $300 each tires ..

Where does it all end ???

As long as the old rotors are the proper thickness and structure and are running true and the vehicle stops well at the speeds at which it is driven...
Back in the 60s,70s, we seldom changed the rotors, the pads were softer, did not last that long (30 to 50K miles or so)....

The rotors and pads will last when properly used

#4 ·
earthworm said:
The average Joe can do quite well with new pads on old rotors;but Wealthy William must have his new rotors(titanium,slotted), new calipers(epoxy powder coated), new wheels($400 ea), new ultra low profile $300 each tires ..

Where does it all end ???

As long as the old rotors are the proper thickness and structure and are running true and the vehicle stops well at the speeds at which it is driven...
Back in the 60s,70s, we seldom changed the rotors, the pads were softer, did not last that long (30 to 50K miles or so)....

The rotors and pads will last when properly used
EXACTLY!

I only replace rotors when they are worn below spec or possibly out-of-true (rare). You can use new pads on old rotors, as long as the rotors are not damaged. The lip at the edge of the rotor will not affect the performance of the new pads.

I always use OEM rotors and pads. The ABS systems in today's vehicles are just that...a system designed to work together. Pads, rotors and sensors are a big part of that system. The engineering group that designed it, did so for optimal performance. Tinkering with, or throwing money at it for 'fancy' or 'upgraded' parts are just a waste of money IMHO.

I just purchased a rotor honing tool for a recent brake job. It puts a non-directional finish on the rotor that greatly enhances the 'bedding in' of the new pad/rotor combination.

Back in the old days, you could turn rotors, today's rotor usually don't allow for this......

You should not have any issues with new pad/rotors.

#5 ·
I did new rotors on mine because they were only $25 at Autozone. They have a lifetime warranty and I will probably use that one day. My old rotors had wear grooves and a huge lip. I did buy more expensive ceramic pads so that I wouldn't have as much dust.

One point, if new pads will warp new rotors.... Then what do they put on new cars?

#6 ·
Frank_Drebin said:
I did new rotors on mine because they were only $25 at Autozone. They have a lifetime warranty and I will probably use that one day. My old rotors had wear grooves and a huge lip. I did buy more expensive ceramic pads so that I wouldn't have as much dust.

One point, if new pads will warp new rotors.... Then what do they put on new cars?
The previous owner of my Viggen had recently installed Autozone rotors and pads on the front. While I would have used OEM, the Autozone's stop the car well, and so far no ABS lights or issues.

I've read that ceramic pads do a good job with less brake dust, but I have not tried them.

Now that I have new pads and new rotors,I was told
that with new pads and new rotors, the new rotors
will be warped easily when I go to start using my car again.
Is this true. ??? I mean if I drive normally,
no autocross or racing or whatever, then I dont see
necessarily why my rotors should warp....
The best way to prevent warped rotors on FWD cars is to make sure the lug nuts are torqued in the proper sequence to the proper spec. If you've had your car at a tire or brake shop, recheck the torque of the lug nuts. Those guys sometimes go crazy with the air guns!

#7 ·
I've always put new pads on with old rotors, provided the rotors are not deeply grooved, rusted or near the minimum thickness allowed.

I tend to change pads when they're about half worn that way I avoid problems with my calipers. Experience has taught me that given the infrequent usage of my car, the fact that it sits outdoors and the heavy use of salt on the roads during winter, having the caliper pistons too far extended can lead to pitting (rust).

Never had an issue with the new pad, old rotor combo. I should mention that I only use OEM, based on past bad experiences with aftermarket.

#8 ·
SAAMS SAAB said:
I was told that with new pads and new rotors, the new rotors will be warped easily when I go to start using my car again.
Do you even know what warpped rotors are? Do you know how they become warpped? Who's feeding you such inaccurate information?

Rotors warp when they are overheated, like when doing 120Km/h on the highway and slamming on the brakes to a complete stop, that will warp the rotors. Same senaro as above but when you've come to a stop, you keep your foot on the brake, allowing the hot brake pads to remain in contact with the rotor, that will warp them. Having used rotors turned on a lathe, making their thickness thinner will warp the rotors.

Normal driving, even with the most economical rotors priced at $20 each won't warp easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.