SaabCentral Forums banner

(NG)900s - Lil' Problem

909 views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  coreyeroc 
#1 ·
I have a '95 900s (2.3L) non-turbo/automatic. I've noticed that the car performs pretty well under most conditions. However, sometimes when I have to slow down from around 40mph to around 10mph (or so) to turn, the engine will sort of rev in and out of 'conciousness'... Sorta like its not getting enough fuel when going down in gear to compensate for the turn. Granted, there isn't a lot of gas in the tank right now - BUT, it seems to do this with a full tank as well. (cause i was thinking it just wasnt getting any gas from sloshing around through the turn and not getting to the fuel pump) Is that a wrong assumption??
This doesnt happen when Im coming to a complete stop. It idles just fine.

I have a new fuel filter (not installed yet), and I read the tutorial on how to change them. Whoever heard of a 'banjo' bolt before?? weird.. Does anyone think this could be a 'part' of the problem(a dirty fuel filter that is)? Car has 104k on her, filter never changed. I put in a new set of plugs about 4mths ago, though I dont believe they were gapped to Saab specs. Could this be a problem also?

Before I keep typing and turn this into a novel, someone let mek now whats going on with my car! Please?

#2 ·
coreyeroc said:
I have a '95 900s (2.3L) non-turbo/automatic. I've noticed that the car performs pretty well under most conditions. However, sometimes when I have to slow down from around 40mph to around 10mph (or so) to turn, the engine will sort of rev in and out of 'conciousness'... Sorta like its not getting enough fuel when going down in gear to compensate for the turn. Granted, there isn't a lot of gas in the tank right now - BUT, it seems to do this with a full tank as well. (cause i was thinking it just wasnt getting any gas from sloshing around through the turn and not getting to the fuel pump) Is that a wrong assumption??

I have a new fuel filter (not installed yet), and I read the tutorial on how to change them. Whoever heard of a 'banjo' bolt before?? weird.. Does anyone think this could be a 'part' of the problem(a dirty fuel filter that is)? Car has 104k on her, filter never changed. I put in a new set of plugs about 4mths ago, though I dont believe they were gapped to Saab specs. Could this be a problem also?

Before I keep typing and turn this into a novel, someone let mek now whats going on with my car! Please?
It doesn't sound like a filter problem to me.
Check the purge vvalve as well as it's hoses for cracks. Also check the vacuum hoses for cracks then clean the throttle body and the Throttle position sensor. If that doesn't correct the problem, check the gasket under the throttle body for cracks and test the Throttle position sensor.

Good luck :cheesy:

#4 ·
coreyeroc said:

I have a new fuel filter (not installed yet), and I read the tutorial on how to change them. Whoever heard of a 'banjo' bolt before?? These are used throughout the automotive world, at least the better brands use them...weird.. Does anyone think this could be a 'part' of the problem(a dirty fuel filter that is)?Possible, but not likely, this is a service item that should be renewed every 60K miles. Car has 104k on her, filter never changed. I put in a new set of plugs about 4mths ago, though I dont believe they were gapped to Saab specs. Could this be a problem also? No, but the gap and installation should be checked.

Before I keep typing and turn this into a novel, someone let me know whats going on with my car! Please?
How long is your start-up time ?
These vehicles should be running within 2 to 4 seconds -roughly - maybe 4 seconds is too long...A healthy system(fuel pump, CPS,DIC,battery,compression) will give a very quick start...

Follow the steps Hkayssi has suggested.

#5 ·
start up time is instantaneous. She vrooms with no hesitation. I've only notcied this problem after driving a little bit, and slowing down to turn. And if it starts to hesitate, I can throw it in neutral and the motor acts fine.

I DID have a bad fuel pump at one point in time. I replaced it with one from a saab junkyard - yeah, there was no way i was shelling out $500 for a new fuel pump - the old fuel pump completely fell apart when they took it out. kinda scary... The one I put in fuctions well, and tested well. So I dont think there is a problem there, but I was kinda waiting for it to come back and bite me (for not buying a brand new one)

#6 ·
coreyeroc said:
start up time is instantaneous. She vrooms with no hesitation. I've only notcied this problem after driving a little bit, and slowing down to turn. And if it starts to hesitate, I can throw it in neutral and the motor acts fine.

I DID have a bad fuel pump at one point in time. I replaced it with one from a saab junkyard - yeah, there was no way i was shelling out $500 for a new fuel pump - the old fuel pump completely fell apart when they took it out. kinda scary... The one I put in fuctions well, and tested well. So I dont think there is a problem there, but I was kinda waiting for it to come back and bite me (for not buying a brand new one)
Actually a new fuel pump insert is $82.51 and a full pump kit including the pump, the strainer, hoses and sending unit is $115. The dealer prices are waaaaaaaay over priced compared to aftermarket :nono; :roll:

SAAB even has the guts to chage for $1500 for it including labour :eek:

#7 ·
where are you finding these new fuel pump kits for $115?? I searched high and low, and had everyone else searching as well - found nothing new under $400 (and that was for the generic piece of junk). I get a huge discount from the CarQuest here, and even Their price to buy the pump was 387.00 And these werent Saab built parts either..

#11 ·
hey, i just might! That pump looks great! I hated buying that used pump for it, but I had too cause I just couldnt afford it otherwise.

Hey, I noticed in your signature that you have a 96 900s. I have a 95 900s. COuld you tell me anything to look out for, things I need to check? My car runs great. Ive had to replace a few thigns here and there (idler pulley, lock cylinder and insert on my ignition, 2 tierods). It has 104k. I really want to keep this car in great shape and running well. I know Saabs are extremely well made, but every car has their downfalls.. Thanks for al the help, info.

#14 ·
coreyeroc said:
either one of ya. is there much of a difference between the 94'-97" 900s??
Nope. Most diffrences are minor except for a diffrent style shifter linkage and an ugraded suspension, hubs from 1996+. The brakes were also upgraded in 1997.

As for items reliability:
100K-160K The fuel pump may need replacing
100K-130K The Crank position sensor need to be replaced.
100K or 7-8 years replace the radiator hoses and heater core hoses as well as the thermostat.
Replace fluids transmission, engine, brakes
125K-150K Alternator and starter get iffy and so does the ignition cylinder.
You may want to inspect the headlight and fuel pump relays and resolder the connections.

Basically routine stuff that gets done on all cars at around that mileage.

If you plan ahead and hunt for the parts ahead of time on ebay (yes, even new OEM stuff sells on ebay cheap) I never wait for parts to fail, I always have the parts ahead of time, and replace them as they get suspect to me (around 10K less than the average part)

If you do that, you maintenance will save you a lot of money. My car is very reliable and costs me less on maintenance and repairs than all my newer Hondas and Toyotas that I had in the past

#15 ·
Great. Thanks for that info. Yeah, I would like to stockpile some parts. I have already with a few items (filters, brake pads, etc..) I would really like to buy that fuel pump on ebay right now, just to have... ANd youre right, OEM parts on ebay are certainly the way to go as far as Im concerned. I've found so many things on there so cheap that you just HAVE to buy them!! Like my brake pads - front and rears OEM Saab for $8 - the shipping costs me more than the pads. A lot of times, i think ebay is overlooked as far as buying parts are concerned. Especially if you live in an 'import un-friendly' area like I do. I couldnt pay a shop around here enough to touch my car. They look at me like I just drove up in a ufo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.