SaabCentral Forums banner

xeonlink.com 9003 HID bulb opinions

832 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Diosnoche 
#1 ·
I'll start out by introducing myself a little bit. I'm Zac. I have owned a 2001 9-3 for a little over a year now.

I just bought xeonlink.com's HID bulbs and honestly. I'm not impressed. I was just wondering if anyone else had bought them and what they thought of them. The HID low-beams work great, but the high-beam part of the bulb is hallogen and they suck horribly. Seriously, if i turn on the highs its worse than having the factory low-beams on. Anybody else having this problem or maybe find something that can be modified to fix it?

#2 ·
I have an HID conversion kit on my NG900, but it isn't the same brand as yours. However it is of the same configuration as yours; HID low beam, halagon high beam.

I'm impressed with my kit, the low beam part as that is really what you are buying them for, just the low beams. The high beam halagon bulb isn't meant to actually act as a real high beam, its just there to show that there is a high beam bulb present, and mostly for cars that have DRL system that uses the high beams at reduced voltage as the DRL bulbs, like here in Canada on many models.

The halagon bulb isn't optically aligned to duplicate the actual high beam light ray pattern out of the stock headlamp housing as the real bulb would have.

The Low beam HID bulb is however somewhat closely optically aligned so that it can produce a low beam light ray pattern. You do have to re-aim the low beam light pattern lower than normal to reduce glare to oncoming traffic and to produce a nice dispersed light pattern on the road ahead of you.

The kit I bought are 5000K H4/9003 HID low/halagon high. 4300K is what factory HID bulbs are rated at, such as those on Benz's, BMW's, and even the latest 9-5. 4300K - 5000K is the brightest light you'll get in the white light range. 6000K - 8000K begins to turn blue, 8000K - 10000K begins to turn purple, 10000K - 12000K begins to turn pink.

I've been using my kit for more than a year now, absolutely excellent in my opinion. And having working headlight wipers/washers really aid in reducing glare when the exterior headlight lens becomes dirty.

As for the High beam halagon's, there isn't much you can do about it, like I said, they're not really meant to be used a real high beams. If you really want high beams, you need the kit that has a telescopic bulb, a bulb that actually has a motor built into it so that the bulb itself actually changes its position for low beam and high beam. But I hear these are very good and get stuck. So most don't bother at all with the high beams.

Besides how often do you really use the high beams? the HID's are brighter than the standard high beam halagons anyway.

#3 ·
I use high beams 60 - 70% of the time. I live in the midwest with a lot of country road driving where you don't see another car for several miles, and there are deer and other animals and such its just something you need to have around here otherwise your going to run over something.

I did find some on eBay that are Bi-Xeon and they say that they have a selinoid to shift the light from one part of the bulb to the other to imitate the 2 filament factory bulb, and it's actually a little bit cheaper than the ones I already bought...so I went ahead and put a bid in on them. I hope they work better and last.

And as far as adjusting the height of the light beam, where is the adjustment at? There is a large knob sticking out above the hole for the bulb. I think I read something about this adjusting the width of the beam of light? I turned it both ways to the max and did not see any difference in the light beam with my car pulled up to a garage door.

#4 ·
The big nob is for adjusting the light from left to right, the height nob is harder to get to, its near the bottom of the rear of the headlight, more easily accessable if you remove the turn signal / corner light, and it can be a little difficult to turn as it doesn't have a grip on it to turn it. Where i've circled in red is where the height adjustment is.

#6 ·
Actually I bought them from a company based out of Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA!!! They have a store on eeBay.

Velocitygetter.com

I bought from them because, well, he's in Canada and I don't want to pay duty and additional taxes for importing something from the US. He ships via Xpresspost so I got them in like 2 days.

In Toronto, if you want to buy an HID kit locally, I've seen the Saab dealer in Thornhill selling them at the parts counter, but they're so expensive (dealer :confused: ). Of course any of the flea markets have them, the big one in Brampton is pretty good, the custom car booth in building 3, and the one on highway 27 and albion rd near Humber has them as well. The problem is finding someone that has dual beam, or bi-xenon kits, most don't, they only sell H4 low beam kits.

If this is what you want then you can most likely find a kit locally, otherwise i'd recommend the link above if you want duals, or bi-xenons.

You can also try Performance Improvements on the Queensway, they might be able to order them in for you.

You notice the so many more people have these HID conversion kits in Toronto? I've even seen tow trucks with them now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.