SaabCentral Forums banner

Foglight Relay

644 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  intrex_ed 
#1 ·
I've been having the issue with a buzzing sound occuring when my car is in the on position but not started. The noise occurs more with the push of the brake pedal. I messed around under the hood and the sound is on the driver's side fender almost under the headlight (close to the front, more front than the battery, I removed it). I heard a click noise after the sound would go off and I figured it to be a relay. Walla, the noise goes away when I pulled the relay out. I need to know what else is connected to this circuit. Anything doing with my brakes. Thanks.

Here is the panel that tells the location of the relay.

This is the location of the Foglight Relays

See less See more
#2 ·
One relay is shown for the front fog lights; and this seems to be its only function.
The ICE(integrated central electronics) is also involved..
Haynes 12-20

#4 ·
i swapped the relay between the two (put one in the place of the other. I didn't change anything and the noise still occurs. i'm going to go ahead and replace it but I think there is something on the circuit malfuctioning cause the noise and the relay to click.

#5 ·
I agree that something in the circuit is causing the buzzing (the relay's solenoid is taking a beating)..... but what ???

85 and 86 are the solenoid leads; 86 is power;85 is grounded thru the ICE and then to the fog lite switch...
So, ground the relay directly and see if the buzz continues; if not, bypass the ICE(if possible) and see what happens..
Haynes 12-20
I do not know why the ICE is involved in this fog-light system...

#8 ·
earthworm said:
So, ground the relay directly and see if the buzz continues; if not, bypass the ICE(if possible) and see what happens... I do not know why the ICE is involved in this fog-light system...
The ICE is involved because of programming, programming the lighting system to operate under different laws in different countries outside of the USA. For example, in the USA you can't have your front fogs on with the high beams on, but maybe in another country you can. The ICE allows service technicians in different countries to easily adapt the vehicles lighting system to their requirements without hacking up the wiring to suit their needs, all they have to do is program the ICE module to what they want it to do.

intrex_ed said:
if the ICE was malfuctioning would this throw a code?
No, your car may not be OBD2 certified (implimented in 1996 model year on all USA sold vehicles) and even if it was, your car was still in the early stages of OBD2. Monitering of these systems didn't happen until more recent years in vehicles equipped with OBD2. Late models (2007-2008) for example, ODB2 may even monitor the status of the CD Changer, OnStar, Tire pressure monitor systems.

intrex_ed said:
also if the abs isn't working (there's no pressure on the brake pedal) then it should have showed an abs code/light, unless it's the booster
Don't assume its the booster, start with the easiest course of action first. When you turn the ignition key to on, does the ABS warning light illuminate and then turn off? If it does then the ABS systems are working as the abs test its electrical systems during start up and if a fault is detected, the warning light is illuminated and the ABS system becomes disabled.

I'd inspect the check valve in the Vacuum line that feeds the brake booster first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.