SaabCentral Forums banner

Lucas Products?

912 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bkrell 
#1 ·
Anybody use and lucas products?

There oil additive seems really good.

#4 ·
I've used them, don't like them. It's like putting very thick maple syrup or molasses into your engine, do you really want that in there when the temperature is freezing outside? IMO, not a good idea. You generally want a thinner oil in the winter months, not a thicker oil.

I've also tried the transmission additive, and its just as bad.

In both cases I had to soke the Lucas additive bottle in a bucket of hot water to increase the viscosity of the Lucas oil, just to get the stuff out of the bottle! I think this stuff is too thick for a passanger car engines, trucks, sure why not.

#6 ·
I'm a skeptic on any motor oil additives.

Why do you need to add 'something' to the oil?

I think there are good oils on the market to address specific concerns. i.e. 'Max Life' for older engines supposedly contains seal conditioner to help reduce leaking seals and additional detergents to help keep the engine clean. Mobile 1 0w-40 is formulated for cold weather start-ups and withstand high-temps... it's factory fill on many high-end Euros. Diesel oils meeting the correct spec for gas engines offer addtional detergents for sludge-prone motors - and they keep Freightliners on the road for 100's of thousands of miles.

Bottom line, find the oil that meets your car's spec, or thats recommended by a trusted or respected mechanic and works for your particular application. Then change it often with a good quality oil filter and you won't need any additives, IMO.

Check out this link where they've taken the cool Lucas counter display just one step further......
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

#7 ·
I only use the Lucas fuel injector additive. It comes in a thin plastic bottle and has a yellowish tint to it. I really like it. I just add it to a full tank and run it all the way through. It helps lubricate the injectors and the combustion chamber. I've never had a problem using this. But yea, I wouldn't use anything to make the motor oil thicker... Maybe if my car was eating oil because of bad bearing or something or to help it stop smoking... :roll:

#8 ·
Leon said:
Maybe if my car was eating oil because of bad bearing or something or to help it stop smoking... :roll:
Not even. This is what I used the Lucas for, I tried it in a Mazda 626 that had worn piston rings and bad valve stem seals. The engine was already burning oil so I tried this stuff to see if it would decrease the oil burn. Wrong! The engine began smoking, huge black bellows of smoke coming from the exhaust.

My only hypothesis is that the lucas stuff is so thick that it bonded to the sides of the cylinder walls, combined with bad piston rings the rings could not scrap this stuff off the walls on their decent stroke and left a little on the sides of the cylinders that ended up burning with the normal combustion process.

It did however increase oil pressure but only because of how thick it was. I'd rather have good oil flow than high oil pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.