SaabCentral Forums banner

Tires

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KSpark 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend cheap tires for the front wheels? I have this stupid humming noise since I changed the rear tires to the front, trying to get a few more miles out of them, but I think they are goners now. They also need to be low noise tires.
Anyone ever heard of Definity HX700?

#2 ·
Hi Matz,

If you go for replacing only two tires your going to want to put them on the rear. Its a reasonable assumption to place your best tires were they'd be handling the bulk of the work, in front. But in the event of a sudden change of direction the back end is going to lose traction and pass the front end. This is not desirable.

I am not familiar with the Definity brand. I do have a set of Nokian I3s. As far as a budget tire goes I am very pleased. $80 per.

SD

#3 ·
If your going for inexpensive try tirerack.com and check out their Kumho brand tires. They are relatively cheap and handle well.
Saabador_Dali said:
Hi Matz,

If you go for replacing only two tires your going to want to put them on the rear. Its a reasonable assumption to place your best tires were they'd be handling the bulk of the work, in front. But in the event of a sudden change of direction the back end is going to lose traction and pass the front end. This is not desirable.

I am not familiar with the Definity brand. I do have a set of Nokian I3s. As far as a budget tire goes I am very pleased. $80 per.

SD

#9 ·
matzemueller said:
I got them at Pepboys, $86 a piece for 205/50 R16. Bought 2 tires. The internet, which never lies, said that Definity is the housebrand of Pepboys and that they are manufactured by Cooper Tires.
Wow that's a really low price for tires that size.

I remember back in 1995 when I was looking for tires for the Probe GT, 225/50VR16 I was quoted at $300 each for the original tires that came with the car, Goodyear Gatorbacks (Eagle VR/ZR). But I must say, when you pay a pretty penny for tires, your really notice the difference. Good performance tires have a different rubber compound that is softer which allows the tire to "stick" to the road much better than a hard rubber compound, maximizing the handling of the vehicle, but the softer rubber obvously wears out faster.

#10 ·
Thank you, gentlemen for the tire info.

So the Definity is a Cooper tire sold by PepBoys....explains the low prices.

A tire warranty of 50K miles is,IMO, long enough; otherwise the tire compound is too hard in trying to achieve 80K. Durability may be great, but the ride and noise factors are not so good...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.