SaabCentral Forums banner

Fuel Tank Leak, HELP!

908 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  earthworm 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I did forum searches before I posted but found nada so sorry if it has been addressed before!

1999 9-3, four door.

I can't fill the tank all the way without fuel leaking out from under the car! It runs fine, starts fine, etc so it can't be the submerged pump or pressure line from the pump or the return line since it leaks ONLY when I am at a gas station try to FILL the tank. It does NOT leak at all while running. I can put in about 1/2 or so of a tank and it is fine but more than that and it starts to leak and I can't see from where!!!! arrgghhhh.

ANY ideas as to what is leaking/loose and what to do? I find that, unlike my last three cars, there is NO access to the top of the tank/pump fitting area and that seems really stupid! I DID read that some folks cut an access hole for the pump, and maybe that would help search but WHERE do I find out where to cut it???? And would this help if it is ,say the fill hose or a vent hose? or something else? I don't have a layout/schematic/picture of the fuel tank/system so I really am in the dark here.....

Is there someplace that tells/shows me about the tank and fittings? How to cut the access hole and or how to remove the tank??

Most importantly, has anyone here had/seen this issue before? Please speak up and save my sanity!:lol:

Thanks MUCHO for any help!

Doug

See less See more
#3 ·
where does the leak come from? If it's comming from the RR, around the lower area of the filler neck, it very well could be the small rubber hose that connects the bottom of the filler neck to the tank. It has about a 2" diameter, and is held in place with 2 hose clamps. It's also about 1/2 of the tank's way up. This is probably why you can only fill to 1/2. Or if worse, the the leak is coming from the top where the fuel pump sealing ring is, or the two check valves that deliver and return the fuel. Highly unlikely as you're tank would have to be topped to the brim. but it only leaks when your car is OFF, right? If so, I would definitely suspect the rubber hose. It's right to the Left of the RR wheel. Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks Leon,

Can I get to the hose and/or clamps without removing the tank? thru the trunk area or??? I'll take it to a gas station later and see if I can see where it is leaking from later today or tomorow. When I looked before it seemed as if it was about the center of the car and tank area, like it was just running around the tank and dripping off.

THANKS!

Doug

#5 ·
If you have a pair of ramps, you can easily access the back of the tank whee the filler neck goes into it on the lower right side. There are other hose connections, but they're smaller and require the fuel line disconnect tool. The one you see in the stores for around $7. Good luck and let us know what you find! K? ;)

#6 ·
Links and pics on making the fuel pump access door.. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112335
and there are more...

I'm guessing that a PO(previous owner) had the tank dropped to change the pump.......so, we may have some human error cause by un-necessary human error...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.