SaabCentral Forums banner

SRS Light GRRRR

15K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  Saab Max 
#1 ·
I was replacing some trim on the side post where the seatbelt connects and I knocked loose the wire that plugs into the end of the setbelt retractor. I got it seated back in place but now I get a SRS light on my dash. Is there a way to turn that off? I'm not above pulling a fuse if that's what I need to do. Would jumping the wires that plug into the retractor do the job?

This is 5 weeks into my find the water leak and fix the headliner fiasco. Headliner is out of the car with new fabric on it, but I can't find the source of a pesky trunk leak.

#3 ·
"Time for Service"

do the service as necessary:cheesy:
the light will self extinguish over a period of cycles or time..
I have learned to ignore mine...
The same may apply to the SRS light, if optimistic....Otherwise a $50 trip to your local friendly dealer.
I would not jump any wires in the SRS circuit.

#6 ·
Well, if you're totally sure that just unplugging the belt did the problem, you would have to manually reset the SRS computer! Just unplugging the battery doesn't reset it. You have to unplug the battery all the way (both positive and negative) wait 30 minutes, NO LESS, to deactivate the air bag of its reserve power. Next, undo the center console, two bolts behind ash tray in back, one under ignition trim (just grab on both sides and pull up, revealing the hidden T25 screw. Then you'll see the SRS computer, just grip the white part of the plug, pull to the side, then pull the plug away, this will make all power go out of the computer, WAIT 20 min. Re-plug the SRS, put console back, re-fasten battery, turn car on, SRS may be on, but once started, will extinguish itself. Good luck!

#8 ·
No, you must wait first, after the battery, to drain the air bag of its reserve power, then unplug the SRS Computer, waiting an additional 20 min. to erase it of its memory. Then install in reverse order. If you do them both, you risk inflating the air bag.

#9 ·
cprevost said:
Oh the light is not blinking. It just stays on. I think I"m reading that this is a time for service light? If that's true how do I reset?

As you can see from the circuit, the seat belt retractors are vital to the operation of the SRS system, hence why you have the SRS light illuminated now. Try the procedure stated above, otherwise the only right way to correct this problem is with a TECH 2 from the SAAB dealer.

#10 ·
Thanks all for the good advice. I'll try that procedure when I get a chance. I called the dealer and he confirmed what was said here. Unplugging the wire at the seat belt retractor caused the light. Repair tech didn't know if the light would reset itself with enough cycles. He'd charge me 45 bucks to reset it. I'll try the outlined procedure here first though.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Did you (try to) start the car with disconnected tensioner? This would cause an error, which lits the SRS light. Disconnecting and reconnecting the tensioner with car keys in your pocket :) does not produce the error (both options tested on 9-3), so there's another malfunction.

#14 ·
cprevost said:
Oh the light is not blinking. It just stays on. I think I"m reading that this is a time for service light? If that's true how do I reset?
Just to clearify, SRS light is a malfunction lamp, not a "time for service" lamp, unless you consider a malfunction time for service.

The SID display will actually display a "time for service" message when a preset value of miles has passed, like an "change oil" message just to remind you of service. I think its set for 5000 miles? Something like that.

#15 ·
Well, I tried the disconnect the battery and then disconnect the srs box under the console. Didn't work for me. I still get the SRS light. The procedure was easier than I thought though. If anyone is attempting it here's a few more tips.
Remove the ashtray on the back of the console. There is a torx screw there. Remove it. Remove the two bolts you see there that hold down the back of the console. Pry up the rubber part that surrounds the key cylinder. The whole plastic part that surrounds that area needs to be removed. Lift the back edge (towards the back of the car) with a flat screwdriver. Once you get that up you should see two more torx screws. Remove those and the console is free except for the electrical connections. you should be able to lift it enough to get to the srs box in the back. The plug is orange. There is a white plastic collar on it. Pull the collar towards the back seat and it will lever the plug out of the box. Oh, remember to wait a half hour after you disconnect the battery to attempt any of this. Also you'll need to have a radio code handy as you'll need it to reset the radio again.

Anyway, I guess I'm off to the dealer to get this reset unless anyone has any leads on a cheap tool that would allow me to reset this myself? The dealer wants 50 bucks to do it. I'd spend around double that on a tool and considder it money well spent if anyone has any leads.

I did get my water leak fixed, headliner replaced, and sunroof adjusted though.

#18 ·
Still Pete67... said:
Draper do an airbag light reset tool its for Volvo and Saab,it will cost close to $50 but at least you've got it for life,can't say how effective it is as mine is still in the post,i only ordered it a couple of days ago...
The thing about this is that what if he buys it and it still doesn't reset the light? IE, what if the SRS computer is bad? He would be out the money for the tool as well as having to buy a new one. Some people also have problems with soda or liquids being spilled on the SRS ECU causing a short in the computer rendering it non-operational.

#20 ·
I think, until otherwise convinced, that this "airbag or SRS reset tool's " abilities are limited to airbag replacement, primarily at body shops - a good tool for them..

But if the ECU is replaced or another repair is made(clockspring, warning lite, belt retractor,etc), I fear that only the Tech 2 will suffice..
And, probably only the Tech 2 can detect a ruined SRS ECU....

We will have to know a lot more about this device...

#21 ·
earthworm We will have to know a lot more about this device...[/QUOTE said:
Well i had my car into the dealers the other day to get some spare fobs coded and they very kindly did a free diagnostic check on the airbag light for me,the result,an open circuit,they offered to reset the airbag light for £45 but couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't come back on.
I said thanks anyway,sat in their carpark for less than 2 minutes and reset it myself with the Draper unit,so far the lights still off.
It cost £30 so i'm more than happy with it,as a bonus a friend a work has used it to reset the service light on his Volvo

#22 ·
Well, then, this Draper scanner? tool seems to be a good idea when working on the SRS system.

Better $50 for this tool than several $50 trips to a dealer (aka stealer):cheesy:

#25 ·
My SRS Problems

I had an SRS light come on and was told it could only be set by a Tech 2 tool. Draper may wok. Anyway my car has been left a week with a weak battery and when I turned on the ignition all the lights on the cluster can on as normal but when I tried to crank every thing went dead. Charged up the battery and when the car was running the SRS was on. Read in my WIS that if the battery voltage to the SRS unit drops below 6 volts it will trigger an SRS fault. Had it reset and no problem since
Martin Barnes (New Zealand)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.