SaabCentral Forums banner

Resonator?? 1995 NG900s

555 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  coreyeroc 
#1 ·
Hey there. Due to the recent ice storms around here, there have been plenty of branches in the street to run over. A branch tore into the 'resonator' in the exhaust line. (in between the cat.converter and the muffler). It has 'metal webbing' around a cyndrilical shaped part. Is this what the Resonator is??? Anyone ever replaced one? Anyone know where to GET this part rather than paying out the ear through local chain auto parts stores? Most places I've looked, around $140. I am in St.Joseph, MO - I am ok with buying online.

Thanks for the help everyone.:p

#2 ·
coreyeroc said:
(in between the cat.converter and the muffler). It has 'metal webbing' around a cyndrilical shaped part. Is this what the Resonator is???
Your description sounds more like the flex pipe. The resonator is part of the middle pipe assembly and is located right in front of the rear axle assembly; it kind of looks like the normal exhaust pipe except its a little exploded a bit, balooned, like a garden hose whose end you plugged with the water running and the hose starts to puff up at the end.

The flex pipe is a more common part to get damaged because its constantly "flexing" to allow the exhaust system to move slightly with engine torque.

#3 ·
sorry to keep referring to this - but it's a key distinguishing factor for me- but the flex pipe is the thing covered in the metal webbing material? I just want to be sure to buy the right thing. Thank you for your help, I really really appreciate it. By the way, know anything about replacing both tie rod ends on the front end of the car (both left and right side)?

#4 · (Edited)
http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1082&cat=1015

The flex section is included with the down-pipe and the catalytic converter.This is one reason why the dealer price seems so high.
Muffler shops, when they have the welding skills will just cut out the section and replace it using a "universal flex pipe", which may last a year or three..

Use plenty of PB Blaster and time when you go to remove the tie-rods.
But why ? ; are they worn out already ? Mark the old location with paint...this is a task for an advanced DIY,IMO..

#5 ·
Tie Rods

Hey earthworm, thanks for the info. Yeah, both sides are worn out. Throughout the last year, the car had a bad tie rod on the drivers side. (dont bash me) but I didnt have the money to fix it before it got really bad. I dont know if this is what caused the other side to go out so quickly, but in turn, it did. I didnt want to continue driving after knowing it was bad, but I had to - no other option. And it was only minimal local slow safe driving, no highways or rough roads. I drove it as little as possible.
Do you know of any DIY guides online with the tie-rod repair? I'll be doing this with my dad, who is proficient with autos, but not Saabs.
By the way, yes, the Flex Pipe is what I was looking for. I found a new one online for 120 and no shipping charges, guess I'll have to go with that. No other option... I really apreciate your help.

#6 ·
$120 for a flex pipe seems a bit too much. They cost a maximum of $40 CAD at our local Canadian Tire store (auto parts store) and that is for a 2.5" dia 10" long flex pipe. You need to measure the I.D and O.D of the inlet and outlet pipe, then measure the overall length of the flex pipe to ensure you get the correct one that will fit.

#7 ·
Hey coreyeroc! Just make sure that you go to Sears and buy the small puller priced at $30. You will thank yourself for how easy it is to use and remember, when the tension finally lets go of the tie rod, it will make a loud metallic "pop" just letting you know it broke free. don't worry if the tool falls, it happened to me also... (Cuz I was scared and didn't expect such a noise, LOL!) Good luck!

#8 ·
Update

Hey Leon, I think I'll pick that tool up. Anything to make life a little easier. Yeah, i remember pulling some off a newer chevy about a year ago, and I got that same pop and it nearly scared the pants right off me. I dont think I've ever moved that fast before.. Could you give me any more tips on removal/replacing them, or is it pretty straight forward?

As for the Exhaust issue - I took it to a friend at a local muffler shop and he was able to cut out the torn flex pipe and weld in a new one. Costs about 80 after labor and all. Better than the $140 I was looking at to buy the whole intermediate pipe plus labor on top of that. Now if I can just get these friggin tie rods on, I'll be good to go! I let my Saab sit around for about a year and a half becuase I had another car at the time - but man, after i fixed it and got it going again, I forgot how much I missed it. They're such cool cars. I've loved them since I was a kid (actually, ever since the movie "Moving" with Richard Pryor and his Saab900). Always been a foriegn fan, as most american cars are worthless pieces of junk. At least we made 'em right back in the 50s and 60s huh?? What the hell happened after that?!?!

Thanks for the help guys. This site is great cause Im just about the only one in my area with a Saab - minus a few 9000's running around town (and boy are they ugly). It just makes it so much easier when you're talking to someone who has experience with your type of car. I cant even get anyone in town to do a darned oil change on my Saab. They look at me like I just drove up in a UFO. :cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.