SaabCentral Forums banner

P0705 Error code

7K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Kpan-saab 
#1 ·
Hi,

Need help with P0705 code- "Trans Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction! Anyone know what would throw this code?

Thanks,
Matt

#3 ·
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105574

Nine is correct..

The cause is a minute quantity of wear and tear and our fiend corrosion...
Why this switch is so sensitive, and what it has to do with emissions - is far beyond me. :nono; I guess that if not all is perfect at the range switch, emissions are increased...

#5 ·
earthworm said:
and what it has to do with emissions - is far beyond me. :nono; I guess that if not all is perfect at the range switch, emissions are increased...
Where did Emissions come into this conversation? Is it because you think the CEL is only for emissions? If that's what you think then I recommend you better inform yourself about how OBD2 systems work.

OBD2 is capable of monitoring every electrical system on a vehicle, hence different codes: Examples:

Powertrain (P) DTCs = Pxxxx
Example = Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Closed Loop (CL) Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1
Body (B) DTCs = Bxxxx
Example = B1760 - CD Changer Not Responding
Chassis (C) DTCs = Cxxxx
Example = C0750 - Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system sensor not transmitting
Network (U) DTCs = Uxxxx
Example = U1146 - Loss Of Onstar Communiction

#7 ·
Okay!! Spent most of a very cold (20*) day trying to trouble shoot this problem! Did the NSS bypass to check this sensor- no go! Starter would click so cleaned all -/+ connections to starter- no go! Tried rapping on the starter-no go! Read one of the posts that said to hold key in start while shifting thru the gears- was able to get it to start like this by giggling gear shift in neutral while holding key in start, which leads me back to a bad NSS! So why didn't the by pass trouble shooter work?? Don't want to pull & overhaul or replace the $300 NSS if that's not the problem!!

Anyone have any additional thoughts on what to check next?

Thanks,
Matt

#8 ·
I don't know why you'd want to bypass the neutral safety switch; its name says its function, SAFETY SWITCH. It prevents the vehicle from being started in a forward or reverse gear preventing accidental vehicle movement.

God if it isn't already obvious, how would I simplify the explanation. Check/Change the Neutral Safety Switch.

In automatic transmission vehicles the NSS will only allow the vehicle to start in Park or Neutral. So try to follow me: The transmission range switch (range being from Park to 1 on the transmission gear selector) its whole sweep, this is called a range. We already know that the ATX will only start in Park or Neutral, so if you hold the key to crank the starter while moving the range switch through its sweep, and it starts when you get to the Neutral position or close to it, evidently the electrical contact inside the NSS may be damaged when the range switch sits in the Park position, giving you no crank.

The only other possible failure is if the NSS itself is not aligned and bolted properly on the transmission, causing the "range" of the switch to be slightly off, not letting the park position electrical contacts to make contact inside the switch, in other words, not letting the vehicle completely "Park" itself. The transmissions gear selector cable might be binding somewhere or the NSS may even be loose on the transmission. You'll have to check it.

OBD2 was implemented to assist in quick diagnoses of electrical faults in today’s vehicles. Your vehicle is telling you what’s wrong with itself: P0705. Now it’s up to the technician to comprehend this information.

#10 ·
Well if you only want to spend $5 then you'll get more than you bargin for, problems. Spend to have it fixed right, you get a reliable car. :confused:

There are some people who try to start the car in Drive, that's the reason why the engineers installed such a device, its the same reason why manufacturers place warning labels on their products, because someone has already done it, tried it and got hurt. For example, on a chainsaw there is a label that say "don't grab the chain bar while the engine is on", you figure this one out.

#11 ·
I agree with Diosnoche 100% on this. This method of bypassing the range switch should only be used to diagnose a Range Switch failure.

The Range switch can be fixed as well. If you want to save money but a used one or fix the one you have as those can be fixed, cleaned and repacked with fresh grease.

I really hate half done jobs especially when it's a safety component :nono;

#13 ·
TROLLhattenschatten said:
Look, it's an option.

I never said that you should do it whenever this thing breaks.
it's a good choice for a temporary fix.

I have to do it till it gets warmer out and i can start doing real work again.
Very wise thing to do. I said for diagnosis. but as a temp fix when the temperatures are like what we have it would be fine. As long as it's addressed with time.

By the way, this bypass of a factory safety device is probably very illegal but for diagnosis purposes and a as temp fix this is a non issue. The car shouldn't be sold this way or ever loaned to someone who didn't do the bypass as thay may not be aware of the consequences ;)

#15 ·
Diosnoche said:
Well if you only want to spend $5 then you'll get more than you bargin for, problems. Spend to have it fixed right, you get a reliable car. :confused:

There are some people who try to start the car in Drive, that's the reason why the engineers installed such a device, its the same reason why manufacturers place warning labels on their products, because someone has already done it, tried it and got hurt. For example, on a chainsaw there is a label that say "don't grab the chain bar while the engine is on", you figure this one out.
Look, I understand your point but respectfully disagree with you here. Many cars come from the factory without such a device. Our own manual transmission Saabs come from the factory with the ability to start them in any gear. Are these unsafe or undrivable? Will bypassing the switch that has left so many people stranded make the car any less "reliable"? I believe in safety but am more concerned with a crappy designed "safety" switch that leaves my wife and kids stranded somewhere in the middle of the night. That's more likely to happen than trying to start my car in Drive. I cannot even imagine a scenario where I would get in my car and try to start in in Drive. Why would it ever even be there? In all my years of driving this has never come up. I did this to both of my Saabs after I got left stranded at random one morning. If that had been my wife while I was at work that would have left us in a precarious and potentially dangerous situation. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Many people have PM'd me to let me know that they did the same thing and are happy with it. I truthfully believe that this is a non-issue in my book.

#16 ·
Frank_Drebin said:
.... I believe in safety but am more concerned with a crappy designed "safety" switch that leaves my wife and kids stranded somewhere in the middle of the night. That's more likely to happen than trying to start my car in Drive.
This is the whole point of my arguement, the safety aspect aside, my point is fixing the job properly so that you have a reliable car that doesn't leave you stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the cold.

Granted we all want to try and save money, however, when it comes to a particular part that is so vital to the proper and reliable operation of the vehicle, I can not comprehend why someone wouldn't just replace it. So it cost $300 for the part, big deal, there are alot of other parts on a Saab that cost way more that arn't as important.

Their isn't much you can do when a particular part isn't "universal" and you have to go to the dealer to get it - its part of the cost of owning a vehicle, especially a Saab. If you can't afford it then maybe you should be driving a Cavalier or a Corolla, or something that is so common that you can find parts for it anywhere.

#17 ·
Diosnoche said:
If you can't afford it then maybe you should be driving a Cavalier or a Corolla, or something that is so common that you can find parts for it anywhere.
Now now... No reason to be like that. Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean that they should go buy a Cavalier. I will gladly spend money on my car in areas where I feel it can be of benefit. I just happen to believe that the NSS is not important. Like I said before, I can never remember trying to start a car in Drive in all of my 20 years of driving. If it's a non-issue for the manual cars then why spend $300 to fix something that I don't care about anyway?

#19 ·
The concern isn't that someone intentionally would try to start the car in gear, but that one might do it accidentally. No manufacturer would consider for one moment producing an auto transmission without a nss. I admit that this sort of thing is less likely with modern cars with provisions like not allowing the key to be removed until the selector is in park; and a provision that you cannot try to restart without first turning the key to off.But it is still possible, and as long as it's possible, someone will do it.
The danger is less with a manual transmission, in gear and with clutch engaged, the vehicle will usually just buck along, usually won't start from a stop.

#20 ·
Frank_Drebin said:
I just happen to believe that the NSS is not important.
I think you're missing the point of this thread. The topic is: OBD Code P0705

P0705 = Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)

This is the reason why I am saying to simply replace the switch instead of trying to do a $5 fix. Who cares about the safety aspect of the device, we're steering off track of the topic which is P0705 > how to fix it.

#22 ·
Diosnoche said:

This is the reason why I am saying to simply replace the switch instead of trying to do a $5 fix. Who cares about the safety aspect of the device, we're steering off track of the topic which is P0705 > how to fix it.
So true.

EW, in the 3rd post in this thread, linked to what should be done to repair the Range switch and eliminate that code problem and that respose went unnoticed ;) There is no need to pay $300 either but it's a messy job. There would be no expenses and no safety concers either.

#23 ·
Diosnoche said:

The funny thing is... The bypass will not affect the condition he has. With the bypass, we are only bypassing the Ignition portion of the switch. His seems to be crapped out to the point where the ecu doesn't know what gear it's in. So.... I guess it's a non-issue for him anyway. On that point I agree with you... If I had an error code I would pull the switch and test it. If it was beyond repair I would replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.