SaabCentral Forums banner

Highbeam issues again

13K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  tomek9-3 
#1 ·
Okay, so my drivers side highbeam wasn't working, replaced the bulb...still not working...

Then I looked at the fusebox at the "fusehole" for that highbeam had the wrong amperage fuse in there, the dealer I just got this 03 vert from must have put a 15 amp in there not a 10 amp like is supposed to be there, I changed the amp to be the correct one, and the light still didn't work, but that new 10 amp fuse didn't blow...I didn't check the bulb itself because it was too damn cold but I can't imagine that bulb would "blow" because of this.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
Check your owners manual, for a '96, the 15 amp is correct..Yours may vary.. I'd think 10 amp would work...There is a fuse for each beam and each light. Use your test light or multi-meter at the fuse panel to troubleshoot each circuit..

Good luck:cheesy:

#4 ·
hehe, it seems lots of ppl have the same niggling problems I'm slowly cleaning up on my car.
It's my passenger high beam that isn't working, I did the bulb change and fuse check, then found it starts working when I give that lights relay (orange one) a wiggle. It'd work for a while, then a few days later no go again.

I was getting close to pulling out the fuse box and checking the wiring under it, then pulling the relay apart and checking it, but that link certainly looks like I should open the relay first way to go, resoldering a couple of contacts looks nice and easy.

Thanks for that.

Andrew

#5 · (Edited)
Cool thanks for the help. If I just wanted to buy a new relay what would I be looking at? I am going to try that fix too but if the part is relatively cheap I may just go new.

OR

is this a universal part that I can get at an autoparts store, and if so, what exactly should I ask for?

#6 ·

Part Code: 4109070A

Part Name: Bulb Check Relay

Part Brand: KAE

Part Cost: $58.90

Part Description:
Bulb check relay for any 9000 94-98, 900 94-98, 9-3 99-03, 9-5 all.

Installation & Technical Notes:
KAE (Kaehler) made in Germany.

The German made PA6 Hella relay (Saab part no. 4109070) is Hella part no. 5KG005675-01.

#8 ·
My turning light didn't work and I THOUGHT it was relays fault. But after it came and I replaced the orange relay, my lights still didn't work. I checked the fuses again and again and... I found broken fuse. After replacing everything was fine.

My advice - check fuses again :) I bought my relay for 20 bucks on ebay. At the dealership it costs $150 :)

#9 ·
thanks for the advice man but I pulled every one of them and they were fine. I made sure they were seeded properly too. This car has an immaculate engine bay and everything 'appears'to be in good working order. I'll let you know what i find out.

#12 ·
Simplest thing to do FIRST, is to be sure it is the relay. Borrow one from an independent shop, pop it in and see if the problem is cured. If so, you can very likely fix yours. I fixed seven for Tommy Turbo here in Columbus. I tested them before and after. All were easily repaired. I can do one in about ten minutes.

#13 ·
and really, you can get a soldering iron for around 10-15 and some solder for a couple of dollars more. Looking at that easy to follow photo guide you should be able to repair yours quite confidantly. It's really quite simple and once it's done the relay should be good for years.

Andrew

#19 ·
Yeah Im gonna try to fix it first as I am pretty good with soldering...

You know its funny, if this part were 20 bucks or something I would buy a new one...but how in the hell they get 120 bucks for that little orange box is laughable...isnt an alternator like only twice that ...LOL

#21 ·
9-3 High Beam problem

WOW!...I had the same problem with my headlamp, and it was confounding to say the least, but I took your suggestions and through elimination discovered that the relay for either or both the headlamp and high beam, although fine internally, were just not seated well. After reseating them I adjusted the zip-tie style fastener (which is chintzy way to secure auto electrical parts if you ask me) as many click as I could without shearing the horizontal cap off. Now it works like new...until the next problem.

Thanks so much for the collective knowledge. It probably saved me a couple of hundred in parts and labor.

Mike

Columbus OH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.