SaabCentral Forums banner

Impromptu snap-ring tool

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 · (Edited)
If you ever need to remove a large snapring and can't get it off. Try this... I just took some bicycle brake cable and fed it through the two holes. Twisted it with vise grips and it slowly pulled closed. Once I put it back on, I just cut the cable. (This one is located on the front of the oil pump by the way).

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey all! If you know, I had a massive oil leak from behind the crankshaft! When I took the pulley off, the snap ring pliers I had bought from Sears were sadly too small for that massive snap ring holding the oil pump cover on. I did do this "brake wire" alternative method and to my suprise it worked! Just for future reference though, you must flatten the brake wire to help it slide in the holes on each side because the area for it to fit into is very tight. Once it comes out and around on both sides, cross them one over the other and "bite" them down with the channel lock pliers and then "twist". It will close the snap ring and make it come right out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.