SaabCentral Forums banner

DIC - Tech 2 diagnostic?

939 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  d2jp 
#1 ·
Had code P1334 last week. New plugs are on my 'to-do' list, so I cleared the code. CEL and P1334 again last night, but gone on start-up this AM. CEL on both occassions for this code has appeared on start-up only. Car starts quickly and idles / runs normal. 76K and I'm guessing original plugs.

From searching here, it looks like plugs and/or DIC would be the common fault with this code. I'm 1 hour from closest dealer and have to get a key programmed there next week (which is when I was planning on picking up plugs and a few other maintenance items). Can they run a diagnostic on the DIC or is it simpler and cheaper to replace the plugs and then replace the DIC if the code re-appears.

I try to avoid all interactions with dealerships:D

Edit: 2001 Viggen.

#2 ·
Just get plugs and a new DIC. That code is for your DIC, combustion detection cylinders 3 & 4. The combustion detection system is intergrated within the DIC itself. This is a classic "death throw" for the DIC. You should get a new one and keep your old one as a spare in the hatch. It still works fine but it will keep throwing the code as long as its still installed.

OR the electrical plug for the DIC is dirty or loose. The code is basiclly saying
"I cant detect any combustion in cylinders 3 & 4 here!" The computer is looking for a specific voltage range during combustion and if its not there or its out of range either too low voltage or too high voltage it will trigger the CEL and code.

Hope this helps

#3 ·
#4 ·
IF original plugs at 76K miles, I am surprised that she is running at all...And , considering what I have heard over the past 3 years, I would bring the vehicles maintenance up to date and re-new the DIC, keeping the old as a spare..

As a good percentage of OO(originals owners) tend to throw history and maintenance and spare keys out the window along with the tools ,manuals, and jack..the present owner has the daunting task of "repairing" this neglect....
In bringing the service up to date, check the date on the DIC..And maybe a pleasant surprise awaits, maybe the plugs were changed..:cheesy:

#5 ·
Thanks guys!

The car is still under the indie dealer warranty - half parts/half labor are covered. I am going to ask him for plugs and DIC and I'll install. I am going check on the recall and see if my vin falls in the range - in which case I'll have the dealer take care of it. Does the ECU require an update?

The plugs very well may have been replaced at 60K. I have had platinum plugs run upwards of 90K miles with no issues - although not in a 4 cyl - turbo Saab.

I'm trying to bring the maintenance up date. So far I've dropped the oil pan, cleaned screen (looked good), had brake and coolant flushed, p/s fluid changed, replaced air and cabin filter. Next up are new plugs, tranny fluid, linkage alignment and maybe the transmission mount, along with serp belt and idler pully. The car was originally serviced by Main Line Saab in Philly and later Charlotte Saab in NC. I talked to Charlotte prior to purchase but they were not very helpful. Neither dealer was good about filling out the service records, but the book is stamped - even with other cars I've owned...I've asked for the records to be filled out, left the book on the front seat and it's still not done. I had a Volvo dealer LOSE the service record book.

I did only get one key, but otherwise the spare, jack, tools, books are all there - I look for those things, along with the usual collision and maintenance concerns before buying a used car.

Thanks again for the great advice. I'll let you know what I find out....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.