SaabCentral Forums banner

How do you remove the steering wheel

965 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  AMcK 
#1 ·
I've got a 99 9-3. A step by step procedure on steering wheel removal would be great (with any precautions), please.

#2 ·
Look on either side of the wheel and you will see small round rubber plugs. Pop those plugs out and you will see the 2 bolts that hold the air bag on. Back those out, they are spring loaded and stay in place after they are backed out, then pull the cover. Once the cover is pulled, unplug the plug to the "clockspring". Then it's simply a matter of removing the large nut on the steering shaft (I forget what size) and the wheel pulls straight off with ltlle effort. Be careful of the small plug when you pull the wheel. It's easy to snag and ruin.

#4 ·
brewtide said:
Frank didn't say, and you probably already know:

Make sure to unplug the battery and let it sit and/or ground it out prior to doing this. Last thing you want to happen is an airbag in the eye.

-Bny
ide pull out the airbag fuse alltogether along with removing the negative battery terminal. As you know electron flow is from negative to positive ;) hehe

#6 ·
Just another tip to avoid damaging the small connector - undo the nut that holds the wheel on and just loosen it off a little. Then pull the wheel to dislodge it off the splines, the nut will stop it suddenly releasing and ripping off the connector (I learnt this the hard way - had to re-solder the radio connections).;oops:

Also when you have the airbag removed ALWAYS place it with the metal side down somewhere safe and remember it is an explosive device.:eek:

But if you follow the method already described it is a prettty easy job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.