SaabCentral Forums banner

looking for an mechanical oppinion (automatic trans)

597 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  M@'saab 
#1 ·
Hey folks, this is not exactly a saab question but since i've had great luck with site concerning mechanical problemes.

My girlfreind has an 96 saturn sl1 with 310 000kms, the automatic trans slips from time to time when it gets warmed up. i'Ve been thinking about draining the fluid out of the pan and putting in a litre of lucas transmission stabilizer, and topping it off with trans fluid.
at the moment the levels are correct and there does not appear to be any metal shavings on the dip stick. Any opinions since i've heard that it might not be a good thing to do as i might aggravate the situation.

Anyway thanks

#2 ·
I'd spend the time and money to overhaul this transmission; I believe the clutches are worn out. Quite the car, the Saturn, and now that it is an Opel, it should be more interesting.. IMO, 300K KMs is very good for an automatic.

#7 ·
The color of the fluid was red. And almost 5 l came out of the pan (not to bad). I put in 700 ml of Lucas trans fix and 4.2 liters of the right fluid and the car seems to be working better. Smoother shifting and no slipping so far. with a little luck it will last a while longer.

I have been told that if the transmission was in poor shape that by changing the fluid it might make things worse. So far so good.

thanks folks (you can always be counted on for good advice or second opinions)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.