SaabCentral Forums banner

Check Gear Box 900SE (95)

763 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pbauer 
#1 ·
Hi, the check gear box light comes on in the morning when I want to go into reverse. Switching off and on the ignition stops it and everything is normal. Sometimes I need to switch off and on several times.
Any idea, what this might cause?
PB

#3 ·
Welcome to SaabCentral, Mr Bauer:cheesy:

Check gearbox light ??
I think this is another emissions thing...
Low voltage will cause this lite to glow.

But all of the details are important for at least a proper attempt at diagnosing a problem.
Miles ?
Automatic or manual gearbox ?
I4 or V6 ?
Driveability qualities ?
Condition of battery and charging system ..
Fluids , level and condition.

#4 ·
If you start the car with the Check gear box light, does it only go in third gear? That would be gearbox limp home mode. The easiest way to determine what the problem is, would be contacting a saab dealer so they can plug in the tech 2.

When a "check whatever" light comes on, there is always an error code.

There is no easy way of knowing what the problem is, but i got a few hints.

* The gear-position-sensor (i made that word up i think, i have no clue what it would be in english.) This sensor is usually the problem, so i'd check that one first.

* Ignition lock contact

* Check all contacs

Good luck

#5 ·
The gear position sensor, the neutral safety switch, and the range switch are all the same - the first gives an apt description, the second , I think, is the American term, the third, the Swedish term translated into English .

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105574

anyway, I hope this helps...
And Nine has been most helpful:cheesy:

#6 ·
Thanks

Thanks you guys!

I took the car to the local Saab service and they immediately diagnosed that the problem might be a faulty neutral safety switch on the transmission, a common problem with that Saab model. They check right now and I will know later today. Give you feedback.
Thnaks again.
PB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.