SaabCentral Forums banner

locked out in the cold

533 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  earthworm 
#1 ·
Ok, so this morning when I tried to close my drivers side door it would not shut. Just gave me a solid thump and would not close all the way. It was like the part in the door that grabs the metal loop on the fram was stuck, so I fiddeld around with the keys, remote and grabby thingy and now the passenger side door will not unlock, the drivers side door wont close.. and Im stuck..

I had to tie the door shut by wrapping an orange extension cord all the way around the car like a big x-mass bow....

So any ideas what went wrong? Oh I should mention this was all in subzero temps...

How do you fix somethign like this, its not like I can drive with the drivers side door stuck open.. I need help and I need help right away!!!!!

#2 · (Edited)
Try to open the door from the inside of the door. This happened to me one time. I manually pressed down a lock with a screw driver while fiddling around. It closes, and I think I opened it by opening it from the inside, it poped right open.
I'll go try it now again, but I'm pretty sure thats how you do it.

Tom
EDIT: I just tried it again, and I opened the car by pulling the handle on the INSIDE of the car, and it was fine. When that metal part in the lock is down, the door litterally bounches right off when you try to close it. just open up the door from the inside of the car and you should be fine. If somethign is stuck (from cold) try to warm it up somehow (hairdryer? :cheesy:)

#4 ·
Heat the key, if ice is suspected, then use lock-ease.

I have never had any of this stuff happen to me - keep things well oiled, and adjusted, never , never slam a door - any door....

The Saab has a "dead-lock" feature -, this, IMO, must be avoided - check your owners manual or the Haynes manual..
Good luck:cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.