Noisy Brakes after rain [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Noisy Brakes after rain

johannes356
13-12-07, 09:31 AM
So we have been getting drenched here in Cincy since Dec started and the morning after a night rain I will get in the car and start to back out of the driveway and applying the brakes the first two times it will make a hallacious sound and cause a vibration you can feel on your feet. once you scrub the brakes after the first one or two applications of braking it wont happen again. thoughts? I figure I can take it in to the dealer, but quick fixes here can save me time and hassle. Thanks guys.

ctrlz
13-12-07, 09:34 AM
You are breaking off the coating of rust and it is noisy.

How many miles are on the pads/rotors? How deep are the grooves in the rotors? Have you checked pads lately?

I think people seem to be getting an average of 50K miles before doing brakes. Some a lot less for the fronts. And some even are getting wear on the rears ahead of the fronts.

johannes356
13-12-07, 09:36 AM
how does 5500 miles sound? LOL!
That was my guess too, but that much rust and crap seems odd at 5500 miles

robhurlburt
13-12-07, 09:59 AM
not sure if I can help ypu with your brakes, but... My GOSH has it been miserable here! I feel like its been raining non-stop since the weekend after thanksgiving! I still haven't had a chance to pick up my leaves... Good to see a fellow saaber in the area

ctrlz
13-12-07, 10:09 AM
I swear my rotors start to rust if I even sneeze in the direction of the car.

Nickshu
13-12-07, 10:59 AM
how does 5500 miles sound? LOL!
That was my guess too, but that much rust and crap seems odd at 5500 miles

No, this is normal. Wash the wheels on any brand new car, and the rotors will get a thin layer of surface rust, especially if there's road salt involved! Unless your rotors are stainless, you'll get some surface rust on the face of the rotor.

OUSaab
13-12-07, 01:11 PM
i think we can all agree that there are plenty of problems with our brakes.
my discs rust just from a night in the garage. the humidity from living near the coast is enough to rust them. i'm hoping that a better selection of brake up-grades will be available soon.

dsanders16
13-12-07, 01:25 PM
How long have you guys been around cars? lol I have never seen a rotor not rust from even the slightest bit of humidity.

johannes356
13-12-07, 01:29 PM
Yeah but when you brake the first two times it really shakes the car and makes a nasty sound. i have heard and had some brake noise on other cars, but this is just odd

WooSAABy
13-12-07, 02:39 PM
Yeah but when you brake the first two times it really shakes the car and makes a nasty sound. i have heard and had some brake noise on other cars, but this is just odd

I have 14k on mine now and mine does exactly the same. but doesnt really vibrate that much but makes a right noise when first used after being wet the night b4. Im not really worried about it.

mrbrett
13-12-07, 03:43 PM
I've never owned a car on which the rotors didn't rust after getting wet (either from rain, humidity, or washing the vehicle). And I have owned quite a diverse collection through the years- several AMC Eagles, a 1970 AMC Javelin, Chevette, Celebrity wagon, Volvo 850 and 240, amongst others- they all experienced rusty rotors...

Nickshu
13-12-07, 03:47 PM
How long have you guys been around cars? lol I have never seen a rotor not rust from even the slightest bit of humidity.

Many years and many cars...including a few years as an ASE certified mechanic. Been out of that field for over 10 years, but have a long history with cars and wrenches. Rusty rotors after heavy rain or a carwash happens on all cars. It happens on my Volvo and my Porsche too. Didn't happen as much when I lived in Colorado b/c the dry climate. Out here on the east coast, my brakes make scratchy sounds after sitting overnight in the rain all the time.

Warren Demontague
13-12-07, 07:00 PM
Rotors rust. It's harmless and happens to most cars. I can wash my car and leave it parked and after several hours have a thin coat of rust on the rotors. After a couple stops, they're clean.