SaabCentral Forums banner

antifreeze

996 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 ·
I replaced my lower radiator hose today because it had a slow leak. As you could expect, I lost most all of my coolant. It was of unknown age and was green. I replaced it with the dexcool gm stuff which is orange. I got to thinking about it and did some research, but the information is kind of conflicting. Am I alright with the orange antifreeze? Or do I need to drain and refill with the green.

#2 ·
I'd stick with green (Prestone) coolant. There have been too many horror stories from people using DexCool, and if it gets mixed with any coolant of another type, it loses all of its long-life properties. The original coolant in your car was probably Saab's blue type, which is essentially like Prestone but with a bittering agent so animals won't be as likely to drink it.

#5 ·
Wait a minute! It's proven! You're only going to be fine with the orange DexCool if you made sure that all of the old green antifreeze was taken out of the engine completely! If the green and orange are mixed, they have the tendency to congeal and make a whole lotta mess for you! I'd get it taken care of immediately! :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.