SaabCentral Forums banner

Valeo Wiper Blades

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Atol 
#1 ·
I love these blades for summer but for winter... not so much. I haven't had them a year and they're leaving streaks. It's like they're frozen and aren't forming to the contour of my windshield anymore. Anyone else have an issue with these blades in below freezing temps? I use RainX washer fluid. Could this have contributed to their demise?

#2 ·
Personaly, my dad has told me never to use Rainx, the stuff is like acid. Most windshields have a "rainx" type coat on them so it isn't really neccisary. I'm sure its not pure rainx, but I'm afriad to use any rainx stuff. So that could have ate away at the rubber of the wiper. But I too notice that when its cold out, my blades kind of "jump" across my windshield. Maybe I just bought cheapo blades though...

Tom =]

#3 ·
I got Valeo's a couple months ago since Tire rack had them on sale. So far they have been great; no issues with them. I spent a week with the car outside (normally garaged) and through 2 minor snowstorms; temps in the teens for 3 full days and they still worked pretty well. Streaked a little; but then most blades do with that much cold and grime ;)

#4 · (Edited)
99Saabnut said:
I got Valeo's a couple months ago since Tire rack had them on sale. So far they have been great; no issues with them. I spent a week with the car outside (normally garaged) and through 2 minor snowstorms; temps in the teens for 3 full days and they still worked pretty well. Streaked a little; but then most blades do with that much cold and grime ;)
Mine streak a lot even with a nice blast of washer fluid. It leaves a 3 to 4 inch streak right in the middle of my line of sight. :roll:

Tom, I hope it's not the RainX. I really like the product. Their orange winter blend never freezes and does a nice job of cleaning. Well, besides the 3-4 inch streak from my blades. The green summer blend is designed to take smashed bugs off in a jiffy!

#5 ·
I love the RainX; an acid it is not, I believe, but a very refined petroleum distillate.. I have never know any windshield to have any-thing like Rain-X on its surface.....

My $1 blades (Miracle Blades) from Big Lots are still good.
But they are also "flip-flap" noisy..
I remember replacing many blades on an annual basis in the 60s - I guess they are more durable today- or there is less pollution..But, I don't think it is pollution, but the sun's UV rays the dries and cracks the rubber....

#6 ·
i use rainx washer fluid as well, and i get streaks often times. i don't get them in rain, but just fluid alone tends to do it. maybe the rainx fluid does so something to the wipers?:roll: i dunno...i use it for the sake of keeping the rainx coat on my windshield fresh since normal fluid and the wipers tend to take if off.

#7 ·
Teflon or Nylon blades will last much longer than the regular rubber type. I picked up a couple pairs for cheap a few years ago and they're still going strong. With RainX treatment they just glide across the windshield and I only need them in a heavy downpour.

#8 ·
I've had really good luck with silicone blades, at least PIAA Super Silicone blades. They're not exactly cheap, but they've lasted twice as long as the Bosch wipers I used to use. I wasn't all that impressed with those "beam" wipers like the Valeo Ultimate Wiper and the Bosch Icon. For what they cost, they didn't perform any better than anything else and they're fairly ugly, IMHO.

#9 ·
nocluetim said:
I love these blades for summer but for winter... not so much. I haven't had them a year and they're leaving streaks. It's like they're frozen and aren't forming to the contour of my windshield anymore. Anyone else have an issue with these blades in below freezing temps? I use RainX washer fluid. Could this have contributed to their demise?
Yea, I have the Rain-X ones for my volvo, and bosch Icons for the saab, and they both do it. I've found that snow/ice builds up on them, so they start to streak, now I just clean them off every time I'm done driving/get home.

#12 ·
I think you all have to look at your area. is it wet humid or Dry and dusty. That will show you how long your windshild whiper will work for.

Hot and dry they need to be replaced more.

Humid and wet they will not have to be replaced as much.

Why it due to the fact they do not crack as much in wet weather or humid weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.