SaabCentral Forums banner

my 9-3 tid keeps on cutting out after filling up with biodiesel :(

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Craig in PA 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I have filled my saab year 2002 9-3 2.2 diesel up in the past with biodiesel and its worked ok.

Today I totally filled the tank I put in about 64 litres of biodiesel. Its cold here at the moment here in liverpool and I was having second thoughts but i thought i would just fill totally up cos its a lot cheaper than diesel.

I drove for about 3 miles then the car started stuttering, it felt like i couldn't find the bite on the car and I pulled over. I left the car for about half an hour because I had to go somewhere then when i arrived back i tried driving it again. it cut out on a hill and started again straight away but cut again again about a minute later.

I was trying to start it and each time i did it took a while to start then would end up cutting out. I eventually had to get it towed home :(

I am thinking it is the fuel filter but I have read on this forum sometimes it can be the fuel pump? ! ? ? hope not.

Could anyone offer me any advice please?

thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am pretty sure all Diesel can gel yes. You likely need to cut the fuel with Kerosene so it will stay liquid enough to flow.

Winters with my old VW rabbit diesel would always see me adding 1-2 gallons of Kerosene to an 8 gallon tank of diesel to maintain the fuel pump's ability to... well... pump fuel :cheesy: I have not driven a diesel in years; but I would guess there are better alternatives than kerosene nowadays?

Can't swear to it, but I would guess Tweek is right and your fuel is jello; best of luck! ;)

#4 ·
The better alternative is a fuel line heater; I never did install one on the '85, it needed one just once.

IMO, the heater should be standard equipment along with the wonderful block heater, for coolant..

#5 ·
I added 5 litres of diesel which i had my friend bring me, i had to suck out 5 litres as well with an oil pump i had in the boot.

I read somewhere on the internet to add some meths and that should thin it out but I am worried about adding anything now to the fuel system after the biodiesel !!!!!!

#8 ·
The bio diesel that I run in my van, can only be run at 15% bio/85%Diesel in the winter. If you search the internet there are additives available desinged for pure biofuel but even they advise against using pure biofuel in winter.

NOTE: bio fuel will start to gel at 40*F

You can run pre biofuel but you will need tank heaters and fuel line heaters. Also it will need to be plugged in over night warming the block and also the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.