SaabCentral Forums banner

SOS Please Help!!

879 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  97 Aero 
#1 ·
Hey Guys this morning i got into my 99 9-3 t5 and started it up it started and then imediatly died. this happened three times and then started and ran fine. could this be bad gas or maybe a bad evap purge valve? i have read up about the purge valves and this sounds like the problems you have when that starts to go. Thanks for any advise!!

#3 ·
DIC - a possibility.
Its age ?
Miles on the vehicle ?
From there is checking for wet/dry plugs(diagnosing)
and the usual service work - should be bought up to date as necessary..
Purge valve - possible..
Bad gas - very, very rare today...

#4 ·
it has 108,700 miles on it and the plugs were replaced about 4,000 miles ago. The DIC seemed to be in really good shape when i changed the plugs but i know that doesn't mean much. i looked this morning at the vacuum lines around the evap purge valve and they were cracked a little bit. thanks for the help!

#5 ·
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111025

Thanks to Saaboheme

The DIC seems to be good for 100K, but this varies wildly.

The "tune up" is a whole lot more than just changing the plugs. An inspection, test of the vacuum lines for one...
IMO, the 100K tune up or maintenance service should include measuring the timing chain adjuster as well as checking for sludge.

#6 ·
I've put 7,000 miles on the car since i had it. so far i have replaced the spark plugs, crankcase breather hoses bpv breather hose air filter fuel filter changed to synthetic oil and run only 91 octane. and some other things i'm sure just can't think right now. from those posts it sounds to me like it's the evap purge valve on my day off i will take it off and inspect it a little more! thanks for the help !!!

#7 ·
Could be one of several things. Luckily none of them are terribly hard to replace once you figure out what the culprit is.

Remember you need air, gas and spark to run.

There are several items that I consider to be routine maintenance that I would attack before I even started trying to troubleshoot. With 100k+ miles these are things that should be done regardless. The first thing I would do would be to pull the IAC, clean and lube it. Pull the inlet tube off of the TB and clean the TB thoroughly. Next I would inspect / replace all of the vaccuum hoses. Many idling issues can be corrected by making sure the vaccuum system is up to par. One leak can cause the car to flat out die. and change the air filter. Pull the plugs and check the gap. Look at the date code on the DIC and see if it's ever been replaced.

Once all of this is complete, disconnect the neg lead to the batt and let it sit for about 15mins. Now start it up and see how it runs. You should be able to track the problem down from there.

I just had the CPS go out on the new 99 T5 that I bought this week. It would spit sputter and die at idle but seemed to run out fine.

#9 · (Edited)
myleshouston said:
Sorry i'm a noob what is the IAC, thanks and where can i get a crank position sensor if thats the problem? thanks again!!!
IAC = Idle Air Control valve. I think Saab calls is an AIC. Sorry.

It is the silver cylinder next to the throttle body on the passenger side. It has a 3/4" hose going in and out of it. Do a quick search for information on cleaning and testing.

The CPS can be purchased for $80 at eeuroparts.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.