SaabCentral Forums banner

Interior Door Handle

957 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  KaMiKaZi_t0M 
#1 ·
I have a '99 9-3. Recently the interior front passenger door handle broke. I took it out and all that happened is the metal hook mechanism inside the door panel that latches onto the door handle slipped off. Should be an easy fix right? I spent a good 2 hours yesterday trying to re-latch it, it just keeps popping off. Has anyone had this problem before, I have racked my brain and I just can't seem to think of anything. Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
Perhaps I didn't word my question properly, I will try again.

If you take just the door handle out of the entire door panel, there is a metal hook (looks like a very thick coat hanger). This metal hook is attached to the interior door latching mechanism. This metal coat hanger type hook is supposed to hook on to a metal finger that is part of the door handle.

ie when you pull the door handle it moves a metal finger that moves the metal coat hanger type hook, which in turn, unlatches the door.

My problem is I can not get the finger on the door handle to meet up with the hook. Everytime I try putting the door handle in place the finger pushes the hook out of the way enough to only partial engage. Then when the door handle is pulled the finger slips out of the hook. I can not think of a way to hold the hook so that finger won't push it out of the way. There does not seem to be room to put a finger or screwdriver in too hold the hook. This seems to be true with just the door handle off and with the entire door panel off. Any suggestions???

#5 ·
Ha! Mines broken as well. My metal piece actully broke off. I'm just going to buy a new one on eBay. Check to see if your metal piece is broken, or if it is truely slipping, but I don't know how that would happen. If you have the broken piece, epoxy and or tie wraps make very useful tools. By the way, you can get a new interior door handle off eBay for around 10-15 bucks

Tom =]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.