SaabCentral Forums banner

oooops, I bought another one

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Frank_Drebin 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I picked up another 9³ today. I was looking for something I could flip quick for some extra cash but that didn't happen (thanks to my wife :cheesy: ) The seller was a non-Saab indie dealer and desperate because the car had "major problems". They said it kept stalling and that the top wouldn't close. I brought my tools and took a look at it. The "major problems" turned out to be a micro switch with a bent actuator on the soft top (Fixed it in 30 seconds), bad CPS (Car hunted at idle) and a bad Evap Purge valve. The car sat for 4 mos because they said it was undrivable. Anyway, for about $3500 + $100 in parts and 2 hours of my time I walked away with a 1999 9³ SE Convertible 2.0T with 79,000 miles. Not bad for a Monday afternoon.

My wife likes it MUCH better than her green 1998 900SE vert so it looks like I'll be selling her car and keeping this one.

Here's a picture from their ad, I'll take some more in a few days.

See less See more
#7 ·
Yeah, the wiper was stuck there. I put it back in it's cradle and pulled the fuse for now. I'll get to it shortly. ;)

Thanks for all of the replies. My wife has driven it for the past 2 days. Unfortunately, I hear a light rattle coming from the timing chain area on cold starts. It lasts for about 5 mins then goes away. I've already changed the oil to Rotella like the other cars. I guess I'll pull the valve cover and Timing chain tensioner this weekend and see what's going on. I may have to throw a timing chain on it or cut the balance chain off (I hope that's all anyway).

#10 ·
I wonder

I wonder what stories the original owner could tell about time, money and anguish spent trying to get this car repaired properly before he finally gave up and dumped it.
I bought one that the previous owner spent ten years, thousands of dollars(not all wasted) and finally dumped. The car is still not right, but I'm hopeful.

#11 ·
john bernard said:
I wonder what stories the original owner could tell about time, money and anguish spent trying to get this car repaired properly before he finally gave up and dumped it.
I bought one that the previous owner spent ten years, thousands of dollars(not all wasted) and finally dumped. The car is still not right, but I'm hopeful.
Yeah, I understand. So many people don't know a thing about their cars. I can't imagine owning an older car and not knowing how to work on it. I would be sick to my stomach if I had bought this car, had these problems and been at the mercy of a Saab dealership... Since we decided to keep this one. I am going through it very closely. But that's another thread...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.