SaabCentral Forums banner

Steering rack

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  earthworm 
#1 ·
Was just told steering rack was leaking. Can it be rebuilt? Is it feasible? Or do i need to replace? If so where should i go to get one? Thanks.

#2 ·
Possible but the hose connections just on top of the rack leak a lot more often.

The steering fluid goes down, over the top and side of the rack, on the driver (LH) side.

Rebuilt steering racks are not expensive (~$200), labor may be more than the rack.

#3 ·
PMI, Re the rack hose connections - do these loosen over time or do the seals at the connections fail ?
TIA
I may have a loss of fluid in this area - a 1/2 pint in 5,000 miles or so ....

#5 ·
earthworm said:
PMI, Re the rack hose connections - do these loosen over time or do the seals at the connections fail ?...
yes, and yes, unfortunately.

The two lines (high pressure feed line and low pressure return line) enter the rack from the top, so any leak in that spot goes down and all over the rack, The cleanup was worse than any of the repair. If you are careful, you can pressure wash that spot.

I have taken the whole P/S system apart, with the exception of the rack. The hard lines have a complex fitting which looks like a double flare with a ridge and a rubber o-ring. When the o-ring loses flexibility, the joint will leak, but very little. Over time it makes a mess. Tightening the joint does nothing (I knew that, but had to try anyway... :roll: ). Replace the o-rings, and all is fine again.

The first return line from the rack to the reservoir is a hose with hose clamps on both ends. The clamps tend to work a little loose, and so they leak. At first I tightened mine up, but that did not work for long. If I had to do it over, I would have replaced the clamps with new ones right away. You can't use a hose clamps with flat and sharp edges from a part store in this application (it will cut into the hose), but the correct clamps are available from eEuroparts.com for a few dollars. Eventually I had to replace that first return hose, because mine was cracking. I used an oil-grade reinforced hose from a part store, for just a few dollars. It has lasted for a couple years so far with no leaks (with the clamps w. rounded edges).

In the end, when the cooling section rusted out, I replaced all the high pressure lines with a set salvaged from a 9-3 model. Despite the fact that they look a bit different, different p/n's, and different restrictors in the lines, they work just fine.

#6 ·
Thank you,PMI

Another favorite( I must have 500 by now)..

Ha ! I'd use the pressure washer, but today it would only shoot out more ice and snow.. .lol...:cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.