SaabCentral Forums banner

Coolant Level Warning

890 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wonkyhamster 
#1 ·
I get the warning about once every 1.5 months. Is this normal?

#4 ·
A common mistake that many make.

The coolant does not evaporate, except, of course when it is exposed to the atmosphere..

If the level drops, you have a "leak", acually a weep; so do a pressure test, examine all 7 or 8 hoses;look at the lower drain(the heater core could be seeping coolant)...
And then we have our internal leaks...

#5 ·
what would be really neat is if the coolant level, radio (it won't turn on), and now a brakes issue, were all related!!!

cruising around this morning i noticed that i had to push harder on my brakes to stop.

the question i'm beginning to ask myself: is my car turning into a lemon? or is this standard at 87,000 miles.

#6 ·
jmyers121 said:
the question i'm beginning to ask myself: is my car turning into a lemon? or is this standard at 87,000 miles.
The mileage is not a big deal (I have over 150K on mine), but at ten years old, you have to be willing to do a LOT of maintanance on these cars. This is all common on the NG900 after ten years.

A lot of wear is related to the number of starts and trips, even if they are short, and do not run up a lot of miles.

A small coolant leak that you can't see is often from the seals in the heater core area.

Brakes are a normal maintenance item on any car, close to or over 100K, you can't count on just replacing pads. I replaced one rear caliper around 110K, the hand brake parts are rusted to the point of being useless, and at 150K, the same caliper started to seize up again, despite the fact that I have had the rear brakes apart a couple times for maintenance. At 10 years old, quite a few people have replaced both rear calipers once, and rotors at least once.

The radio may have blown a fuse. or just stopped working due to age (unless it is in lockout and needs the security code).

#7 ·
PMI said:
At 10 years old, quite a few people have replaced both rear calipers once, and rotors at least once.
QUOTE]

That describes me! I had to replace front and rear rotors, rear calipers, a nasty parking brake cable, parking brake shoes and clean up and grease the mechanism in the drums at 9 years and 100,000 miles. BTW, the rear rotors were VERY nasty when they were replaced. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83998

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.