SaabCentral Forums banner

Sharkfin antenna

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Diosnoche 
#1 ·
So, GS has a shark-fin antenna, and since the motor for the r/c car power antenna is all wonky, and thusly, my radio reception is absolute crap, I'm curious as to the procedures, costs and stuff that needs to be done to install a functional shark-fin antenna.

Has anyone done this yet?

#4 ·
On GS' website, it says that drilling is needed for the install. Do I also need to take down some of the headliner to get the wiring correct as well?

#5 ·
You can probably do this without completely removing the headliner, but you'll want to do a good job so that water doesn't seep in at the drill site and allow for rust to start.

Drill a hole just big enough for the antenna wire to fit through, and go to an electronics parts store and get yourself a rubber grommet fitting for the exact size of hole you drill so that the metal edges of the hole won't cut into the antenna wire, and to also help insulate the hole againest water. If you can't find a grommet use some all-weather silicone to seal and plug the hole opening once the antenna wire is through.

#6 ·
from what i've seen, if you decide to drill near the location of the interior light, you can just pop that out to bolt in the antenna and hook it up as per this lovely page. i love that site.

i suppose it would be the same for the shark fin antenna, but i'm sure that it isn't for the radio. if i remember, the one in our aero is for the onstar and the actual radio antenna is on the rear window just like the defroster wiring.

#7 ·
saabchilten said:
but i'm sure that it isn't for the radio. if i remember, the one in our aero is for the onstar and the actual radio antenna is on the rear window just like the defroster wiring.
You're right, I knew the dorsal fin antenna was for onStar. Most new cars have two antennas, the radio antenna is intergrated into the rear window on most, and then there is the OnStar antenna.

Check out cars in a mall parking lot, and observe the rear window. If it has a strange electrical grid bonded to the glass that doesn't look like the standard rear defrost grid then that is the radio antenna. The newer Honda Accords have this, Camry, any car that doesn't have a traditional exterior radio antenna.

#8 ·
saabchilten said:
from what i've seen, if you decide to drill near the location of the interior light, you can just pop that out to bolt in the antenna and hook it up as per this lovely page. i love that site.

i suppose it would be the same for the shark fin antenna, but i'm sure that it isn't for the radio. if i remember, the one in our aero is for the onstar and the actual radio antenna is on the rear window just like the defroster wiring.
Yea, this is the Viggen antenna I was talking about and that lovely car is Radare's :cheesy:

The shark fin is for onstar. You can't use it for the radio.

#9 ·
Diosnoche said:
You're right, I knew the dorsal fin antenna was for onStar. Most new cars have two antennas, the radio antenna is intergrated into the rear window on most, and then there is the OnStar antenna.

Far as I know the OnStar antenna on a 9.3 is in the front windshield (little black box at top of windshield behind the rear view). My Viggen's radio antenna is on the roof....unscrew the whip and there's no radio.

#13 ·
TROLLhattenschatten said:
How would you correctly seal the hole without it looking like crap?
well, if you look at the guide, radare said he used silicone sealant on the bottomside of the antenna (and probably cleaned off any ooze), and i'd assumine that he used it on the washer on the inside of the roof too. i would anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.