SaabCentral Forums banner

AC siezed up

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  earthworm 
#1 ·
Just found this forum - looks great! I've got an '02 9-3 that would not start the other day. Local repair shop says the AC compressor bearing siezed which in turn would not allow the belt to move. He wants $1800 to fix...I'm wondering if I can bypass with a shorter belt and fix it myself in the spring. Has anybody done this? If so, what size belt? Do I get one for the same engine w/o a/c? It's a 2.0 HO. Any help greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
tibia said:
Just found this forum - looks great! I've got an '02 9-3 that would not start the other day. Local repair shop says the AC compressor bearing siezed which in turn would not allow the belt to move. He wants $1800 to fix...I'm wondering if I can bypass with a shorter belt and fix it myself in the spring. Has anybody done this? If so, what size belt? Do I get one for the same engine w/o a/c? It's a 2.0 HO. Any help greatly appreciated!
There is a belt for cars without AC, dont know the part number. But there is belt's at your saab dealer for your model. Think it's about 300 swedish crowns, which would be around.. 40 bucks maybe.

What if you enable ECON in the ac?

#3 ·
Supposedly, a man can change the AC compressor clutch - contains a bearing - without removing the compressor - Special tools are required, several hours in labor and a $150 part(price is a guessiment)

Does this add up to $1,800.. ??:nono;

BUT, if a bearing in the compressor proper failed - that is a different can of worms , maybe as costly as $1,800....
Obviously, this shop does not want the work - they would rather do something simpler and more profitable....

#6 ·
tibia said:
I am hoping I can just remove the compressor and put a shorter belt on...I don't know about the "ECON" switch.
Got a compressor sitting right here and i dont want $1800 for it :lol:
Ridiculous pricing.

If it's the compressor clutch you put it in Econ and the compressor doesn't run. The wheel will spin tho. Problem solved, short term.

If you burn a bearing it'll be "welded", there's no way in sweden you'll be able to fix that (again, short term) without the shorter belt.

#9 ·
og = old generation

An og 9-3 is a 900 ng (new generation) made from '99 to '02 with many inevitable changes (hydraulic clutch for one).
TTBOMK, air conditioning is standard equipment (finally) on USA Saabs.
To the best of my knowledge, your best action would be to measure for the length of the new belt....using a string.
Or you could try using an old cut open belt ....this could be more accurate.

#10 ·
ew (or anyone else) - I am starting to get confused in this thread.

1) if the compressor were to seize inside, I think the pulley would just spin on the open (un-engaged) clutch, or ? That's what it does on my car when the refrigerant pressure is too low, and the underpressure switch disables it, or when I pull the AC clutch relay.

2) if the pulley bearing seized, any A/C shop could fix it cheap. The saving is not so much in the cost of the compressor, b/c a remaned compressor is about the same price as a new pulley and clutch, but in the labor to get it out, evacuate and refill the system, new drier and labor etc... It only takes minutes to pop the clutch pulley off, if you have the tools, I have seen it done, Takes more time to get the wheel and the pulley cover plate out of the way!

3) why not just get the belt for the car w/o the A/C, both belts are listed w. Saab p/n's?

Article : Belt
PartNo : 4961066
Usage : PETROL, AC, ACC
Order Quantity : 1

Article : Belt
PartNo : 4961058
Usage : PETROL, HEAT/VENT
Order Quantity : 1
(from EPC)

you can look up the p/n's on genuinesaab.com, and the "non-USA belt" is used on modified cars in the US, where people remove the A/C to make room for other things.

Either some repair shop is trying to hose this guy big-time, or I am missing the point... :confused:

#11 ·
PMI said:

1) if the compressor were to seize inside, I think the pulley would just spin on the open (un-engaged) clutch, or ? That's what it does on my car when the refrigerant pressure is too low, and the under pressure switch disables it, or when I pull the AC clutch relay.
Tibia, please respond on this ...

2) if the pulley bearing seized, any A/C shop could fix it cheap. The saving is not so much in the cost of the compressor, b/c a remaned compressor is about the same price as a new pulley and clutch, but in the labor to get it out, evacuate and refill the system, new drier and labor etc... It only takes minutes to pop the clutch pulley off, if you have the tools, I have seen it done, Takes more time to get the wheel and the pulley cover plate out of the way!
A shop may charge one hour labor for this( a very profitable task, this); plus $150-200 for the expensive part. They must then take the customer aside and very carefully explain the "Facts of AC life" .
I had no idea this job was so easy..Very little AC back in the 60s,70s for Saab.. and my AC just keeps on tickin'..:cheesy: But it may have been serviced 5 years ago..

3) why not just get the belt for the car w/o the A/C, both belts are listed w. Saab p/n's?

(from EPC)

you can look up the p/n's on genuinesaab.com, and the "non-USA belt" is used on modified cars in the US, where people remove the A/C to make room for other things.

Either some repair shop is trying to hose this guy big-time, or I am missing the point... :confused:
Again, easier that I thought , all Tibia has to do is assert himself and order the belt of his choice from the dealer....or have the car fixed properly...
With some shops, all they know is replace- replace -replace...this maximizes profits, perhaps, but could alienate their clientèle..

#12 ·
Nope, many people have this happen. I think its the bearing the seizes. Aireca had to drop out of Saabtoberfest eary because of this.

The owners manual actually has the info relating to both belts. You can order it from Partsforsaabs.com really easily, or sort of fight it out with the U.S. parts people at Autozone or someplace.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMI

1) if the compressor were to seize inside, I think the pulley would just spin on the open (un-engaged) clutch, or ? That's what it does on my car when the refrigerant pressure is too low, and the under pressure switch disables it, or when I pull the AC clutch relay.
Tibia, please respond on this ...
The pulley definately does not move...they removed the belt and the car started and ran fine. I am not sure how they know it is not just the pulley... Their preliminary quote is for:
New compressor
Expansion valve
Flush kit
Labor
$1500 - $1800

A shop may charge one hour labor for this( a very profitable task, this); plus $150-200 for the expensive part. They must then take the customer aside and very carefully explain the "Facts of AC life" .
I had no idea this job was so easy..Very little AC back in the 60s,70s for Saab.. and my AC just keeps on tickin'..:cheesy: But it may have been serviced 5 years ago..

(from EPC)

earthworm said:
Again, easier that I thought , all Tibia has to do is assert himself and order the belt of his choice from the dealer....or have the car fixed properly...
With some shops, all they know is replace- replace -replace...this maximizes profits, perhaps, but could alienate their clientèle..
I am now waiting for them to find and install the correct belt for non/ac setup. I will have it fixed correctly in the spring.

#14 ·
2 things :

1: The idea that a car will not start because the a/c is seized is ridiculous. worst case, the car DOES start, but shreds your belt.
Remove the serpentine belt, and try to start the car. if it starts, I'm a fool.
if it doesn't start, find a new mechanic. Will it crank-over @ all? or does NOTHING happen when you turn the key?

2: If the a/c is seized, get the shorter belt (71") and be on your way. in the summer, get yourself a new a/c compressor, or just drive faster with the windows down.

#15 ·
G96nt said:
2 things :

1: The idea that a car will not start because the a/c is seized is ridiculous. worst case, the car DOES start, but shreds your belt.
Remove the serpentine belt, and try to start the car. if it starts, I'm a fool.
if it doesn't start, find a new mechanic. Will it crank-over @ all? or does NOTHING happen when you turn the key?
The car will not start with the belt on. When turning the key it gives a groan and then nothing. Take the belt off and it starts (according to the mechanic).

2: If the a/c is seized, get the shorter belt (71") and be on your way. in the summer, get yourself a new a/c compressor, or just drive faster with the windows down.
(71") I'll pass this on to the mechanic hunting for the belt - thank you!

#16 ·
Well I guess they found the right belt - the shop just called and the car is all set to go. Can't complain - $105 for new belt installed, oil change and lube, and diagnosis.

Thanks for everyone's help on this! I think it's time to get a repair manual and start to get to know my car a little better.

#17 ·
I'm just about to take the Saab on a long 5,000k trip. Its never been far before. My a/c clutch was replaced but not the bearing which is making a grumbling sound :evil: (must remember 71'' belt)

I'm really hoping it makes the trip with a/c working. Just had a service and saftey check and ticked the tow option on my roadside service.

What else can go wrong in the summer heat?

Cheers M.

#19 ·
The English Saabs w/o air conditioning use this set up; evidently the contact area is large enough for the WP section of belt not to slip..

Tibia, the $105 was a good price for the oil change and installation and diagnosis..
I cannot understand why this shop cannot simply change the compressor clutch (Saab part # 46 34 903)....is this based on fear ?:evil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.