SaabCentral Forums banner

99 Saab 93 SE buzzing noise from dash ONLY at certain speeds

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  CPoff 
#1 ·
First post here. Ill give you guys some background info...

Im a student, and as such do not have much money to fix my car (great thing I own a Saab in Canada, right? :confused: ). I searched the forum and although there are some posts similar to my issue, none of them are what Im dealing with.

To start off, my car was hit-and-ran about 4 months ago and it was dented in the driver side front quarter panel infront of the tire, knocked the bumper half off (its basically bungied on now) destroyed the signal light, and destroyed the fog light (only on the driver side, passenger side is fine). Also, the bottom plastic skid plate is gone as well... The only thing I noticed right away, other then the damage, was that my left turn signal clicked about twice as fast (Im assuming because of a short due to the light itself missing).

Anyways, mechanically EVERYTHING was fine, headlight wiper on that side still worked etc. Now I dont know if the buzz started then, but I remember noticing it about two months ago. What happens is when I get to certain speeds in each gear, there is a buzzing noise coming from what seems like behind the center console, moreso behind the radio deck.

1st gear it starts at about 20, 2nd gear at 40, third gear at around 65 (KMPH). So when I shift up, it stops until I get to whatever speed in the next gear sets it off. Now to make things worse, Im starting to get more electrical problems. The first is the passenger side headlight, that was around a month ago. The brights still work on that light, just not the driving light (I have been busy with exams so I havent been able to just buy a new bulb to see if that fixes it).

Now with winter, Im noticing more things. Sometimes when I start my car it will blow cold air (even when the engine has been driven for 30 minutes and is obviously warm) unless I set the temperate to "HI". Sometimes it only does this on defrost, sometimes it does it on all of the fan settings, its quite random. Then, in my dashboard the light behind the gas gauge burned out, and about 5 days ago one of the lights on my speedometer (from around 80-150kmph) burned out.

I fear she is dying, at least electrically, but I am completely screwed if this is the case. I will be coming into around 4000$ next month, and Im willing to spend it but I just REALLY have other expenses that need to be taken care of as well. I got the body damage assessed, and its quoted at around $2900...

I found some parts online, so I can bring that down to around $2000. That leaves me with $2000 MAX for these other issues Im having. Please... HELP :cry:

See less See more
#2 ·
Ah, one other thing I forgot to mention...

The AC seemed to REALLY kill the engine in the summer. If I had it going pretty high and came to a stop, sometimes the tach would dip to like 500rpm and the engine would stutter abit.

Sigh. I fear my glorious Saab driving days may be over :(

#4 ·
Thanks for the link. I did look over that one already today... I guess the issue is very similar. It starts at 2k RPM exactly (may be 2100ish though), and I have noticed a slight dip in turbo.

Do you think it could instead be the BPC valve that Oleary93 talks about on the second page? I know you cant give firm answers online, but since Im on the cheap, you guys are my holy grail right now!

Also, and I think this could be quite costly/difficult... but how hard would it be to replace lights burned out in the dash?

And one last question :) Can any of you guys point me to a page/store I can order Saab BODY parts from (specifically the front bumper cover, the front spoiler/skidplate thing, the front driver quarter panel)?

I really appreciate all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.