SaabCentral Forums banner

'96 900 intermittent starting problems

645 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Diosnoche 
#1 ·
I'm a first time poster. Wow, what a great SAAB resource.

I've looked through many pages of past posts and cannot find anything like my problem.

First, in early spring my '96 900 (160,000 miles) would not start after running fine with no symptoms of any problems. This car has been regularly maintained by an expert SAAB mechanic. After consulting with my SAAB mechanic, I live 60 miles away, his suggestion was a failed fuel pump. To test, he suggested to put a small amount of gas in the intake of the throttle body. This worked well enough to move the car to a safe working position. I replaced the fuel pump assembly with that of my '94 900 (155,000 miles) parts car. This "fix" worked until early fall when the exact same non-start problem reoccured. This time I ordered a new pump replacement and refitted it into the pump assembly. This "fix worked without problems for about three weeks. The car is now showing the following related, but slightly different symptons. The last three times it has been driven it has been hard to start. The engine turns over, catches a little but does not start. After several attempts it turns over enough to keep running, usually with my having to tap the accelerator to keep the motor going. Once it settles in the car drives fine. It has turned colder here, down into the low 20s.

Any suggestions. Could it be the the Fuel Control Module? or perhaps the Electronic Control Unit? My next course of action will be to switch out these parts with those from the 94, although I would like to save time by getting advice before I have to tear into the two cars to get and switch the parts.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
No, probably not. The old 94 pump was probably on its way out also. Just get a new insert and replace the insert only. You will need to cut and splice the included rubber hose into the assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.