SaabCentral Forums banner

Broken exhaust flex

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Saabohème 
#1 ·
my exhaust flex is broken and I can't find any cheap way to fix it yet.
Do you know if that could lead to a engine running "strange"? You know, lack of back pressure and so on...

Thanks.

#2 ·
Well, as I am sure you know by now, it will run loud. It should not hurt it. Your backpressure is reduced, but it is still restricted by the downpipe, and the cat if you have the flex after cat, like I believe the 1995 NG's are set up. (Or at least like mine was set up).

#3 ·
Saaboheme said:
Well, as I am sure you know by now, it will run loud. It should not hurt it. Your backpressure is reduced, but it is still restricted by the downpipe, and the cat if you have the flex after cat, like I believe the 1995 NG's are set up. (Or at least like mine was set up).
Yes it runs very loud (actually seems like an Harley Davidson).
And yes, the cat is positioned before the flex.
So you think the amount of lost backpressure will not make the engine acting strange?
I've got vacuum problems (I still have to find the vacuum hoses in Italy, when I ask for them they look at me like an alien), but it seems that the idle and the time for the engine to reach the idle are worst than before.
Also, sometimes when I crank it up, I heard a strong popping sound, like a little explosion, coming from under the car, where the broken flex is.

#4 ·
Well, Aleph, sounds as if you need new exhaust conponents, a thermostat and some vacuum hoses..

How are the other imports doing in Italy ? They are not being "frozen out", are they.. Nations will do this...:cool:

Are there no NAPA stores in Italy ?

#5 ·
earthworm said:
Well, Aleph, sounds as if you need new exhaust conponents, a thermostat and some vacuum hoses..

How are the other imports doing in Italy ? They are not being "frozen out", are they.. Nations will do this...:cool:

Are there no NAPA stores in Italy ?
Well, the imports are not frozen, the only problem is the shipping cost.
Vacuum hoses are cheap and the shipping would cost more than double the price for them.
As for the exhaust parts, they are heavy and big, so the shipping (even from UK) will cost a lot.
Unfortunately we don't have any NAPA store here and even if I live in Rome, the autoparts stores are not so good, so often we have to buy the original parts from the dealers. (just as an example, Saab asked me about 63 Euros for the checkvalve for the crankcase vent system).
I've got friends in Madrid, so I'm trying to find some cheaper stores there and maybe next time I'll go there to meet my gf's parents I'll buy what I need.

BTW, why should I need a new thermostat?

#6 ·
I've got vacuum problems (I still have to find the vacuum hoses in Italy, when I ask for them they look at me like an alien), but it seems that the idle and the time for the engine to reach the idle are worst than before.
Also, sometimes when I crank it up, I heard a strong popping sound, like a little explosion, coming from under the car, where the broken flex is.The engine must be warm at the 4 to 6 minute mark, if not, the t-stat is sticking open.
Be not too proud, use a FIAT check valve and some FIAT vacuum line, it may be the same size(3.5 to 4 mm ID).
Also, are Opels sold in Italy ?

$63 Euros for a check valve ??? The one in the '97 turbo came from a VW cruise control, I think, for $1 dollar.

Does FIAT use a flex pipe ?? or Lancia, or Alfa Romeo..
The Saab 9000 is kin to these cars...

#7 ·
earthworm said:
The engine must be warm at the 4 to 6 minute mark, if not, the t-stat is sticking open.
Be not too proud, use a FIAT check valve and some FIAT vacuum line, it may be the same size(3.5 to 4 mm ID).
Also, are Opels sold in Italy ?

$63 Euros for a check valve ??? The one in the '97 turbo came from a VW cruise control, I think, for $1 dollar.

Does FIAT use a flex pipe ?? or Lancia, or Alfa Romeo..
The Saab 9000 is kin to these cars...
Hmmm I'm sorry for my english... I think I didn't express very well.
What I meant to say is that the engine needs too much time to reach the 1000rpm after releasing the gas pedal.
As for the Fiat check valve, I didn't think about that...thanks.
For the vacuum lines, I don't ask the store for Saab hoses, I just ask for a 4mm hoses and only one time I've been able to find a piece of hose made for high pressure (fuel maybe?), but it was too much expensive.
Of course Opels are sold in Italy... do we have parts in common?

The cheapest way to fix the flex pipe was suggested by a mechanic who said to cut the old pipe and put in another one (not new) from another car.
He asked 120 euros to do that and I think it's too expensive...

#8 ·
i think I have this same problem right now - I think we're referring to the same part anyway... What is a FLEX pipe? Is this the 'baffle' looking thing covered in metal webbing undernetah the car? Carquest told me this was called a resonator. IS this the same thing?? Mine had a hole poked in it from a tree branch on the road. $140 new. Let me get this straight - there is another one of these baffle looking objects (covered in the same metal webbing) by the manifold under the hood. This is the cat.converter right? THEN, the resonator/flex pipe after that? Oh, i have a 2.3L non-turbo 1995 900s

#10 ·
coreyeroc said:
i think I have this same problem right now - I think we're referring to the same part anyway... What is a FLEX pipe? Is this the 'baffle' looking thing covered in metal webbing undernetah the car? Carquest told me this was called a resonator. IS this the same thing?? Mine had a hole poked in it from a tree branch on the road. $140 new. Let me get this straight - there is another one of these baffle looking objects (covered in the same metal webbing) by the manifold under the hood. This is the cat.converter right? THEN, the resonator/flex pipe after that? Oh, i have a 2.3L non-turbo 1995 900s
No. The flex section that is in the intermediate pipe connected to the back of the cat (part number 3 in the diagram) is the steel braided swelling in the pipe. It is flexible and allows up and down and lateral movement of the entire system. The resonator, also called the center muffler, is part number 5 on this diagram. It is not covered by braided steel, but is a smooth walled steel cansiter.

#11 ·
Aleph said:
Also, sometimes when I crank it up, I heard a strong popping sound, like a little explosion, coming from under the car, where the broken flex is.
LOL, that may be a misfiring engine. when did you last change the spark plugs? Also remember, that eeuroparts sells the flex for $117 shipped, but I'm not sure with shipping for you as you live outside the U.S.? :roll:

good luck with it! It's very easy as long as it's not rusted down there, the clamps are still good, you have a ratchet and a 1/2 or 13mm socket.

#13 ·
A pleasure coreyeroc. The popping sound is more likely than not simple backfiring. Where the flex is broken, fresh air can get to the system between exhaust pulses. Any unburned fuel molecules still in the exhaust stream, when combined with fresh oxygen and the heat of the cat, might possibly can fire off there. The mostly positive pressure in the exhaust system, coupled with proper management by the Trionic computer keeps this from happening very frequently. I would guess it happens mostly on start up when the car runs a little over rich until the ECU has everything dialed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.