SaabCentral Forums banner

New bulbs, Highbeam still doesn't work?

828 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PMI 
#1 ·
Guys,
I replaced both headlamp bulbs with the correct bulbs because the driver side Highbeam wasn't working, but both bulbs worked when on regular beams both before and after I replaced the new bulbs..

When I replaced the bulbs, the same side headlamp is still not coming on, but the other one is working just fine.

What is wrong? Is this a simple fix or should I let the dealer deal with it as still has a warranty with a 100 dollar deductible. Or am I being a moron here and overlooking something?

#2 ·
I would check the headlight harness and bulb socket, make sure that everything has a connection. A visual inspection could work, but a multimeter would be the best. Be careful not to cross any of the circuits when testing them, however.

#3 ·
Redundant question perhaps, but were the fuses checked? On the NG900, headlights have four fuses in the engine compartment fuse box, two per side, high and low beam are on a separate fuse.

It is also a convenient place to start checking for continuity, because that is where the headlight monitor is located, and the high and low beam relays.

#4 ·
Does the 9-3 have the orange 'light control relay' ? Once all the usual fuses and other checks are made [such as swapping like for like fuses and relays] this one can play up causing issues. Ideally you need to borrow a working item from a friend for a few minutes.

#5 ·
ragtopcav said:
Does the 9-3 have the orange 'light control relay' ?
It does, same part number. "Filament Monitor", "Bulb Check Relay", or "orange relay".

Article : Relay
PartNo : 4109070
Supplementary Description : bulb check front
Order Quantity : 1
There is a single wire from the high beam relay to the socket for the watchamacallit relay, two wires out, one each, to two fuses, from there to the two headlights. Similar setup for the low beam.

You can test most headlight functions starting with the relays and fuses in that box, it just takes a little time. Not much fun if you are doing it outside with frozen fingers and a work light. Even less fun if the problem goes away while you are unplugging and reconnecting fuses and relays, and returns during the next cold spell... :cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.