SaabCentral Forums banner

is my starter going?

755 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Canuck 9-3 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 900s with 180k miles. A lot of miles I know but its running great, dealer serviced really no issues. I have service records of almost every major part being replaced except nothing about the starter. The other day I was thinking I wonder when the starter was last replaced if ever. Then low and behold I go to start my car cold and it makes a kind of whizzing sound comming from the area of the starter. I turn it over again and it starts like normal. Once it is warmed up it starts normaly, it is only on the first start when it is cold that it makes the wheering sound. Do you think it's safe to say it's time to replace the starter before it leaves me stranded? also what does replaving the starter entail? Thanks a lot

#2 ·
Its very likely your starter. My old starter did this, it got to the point where anytime I tried to start it when the engine was still warm, the starter would spin without extending far enough to engage the flywheel and turn the engine over. After a few tries, it would catch and start. You likely have a while before it wont start at all, but you'd be best off to replace it asap. I picked up one from the dealer for around $130.

As far as replacing it, the one top bolt can be reached from the top, and the second one needs to be gotten from underneath. The wires also need to be reached from underneath. There is no way to do it all from the top. Its a very simple task in theory, its just a bit tough to reach it. Definitely let your car cool off before attempting it, as youll be reaching around the exhaust a lot.

#3 ·
I recently had a starter fail on the 9000 [same part on both cars] the shaft was floppy in its bearing end and sometimes it would engage and other times it wouldn't; the replacement starter was from a 900. They take less than an hour to swap from the underside [undo the upper bolt from above though] without removing the exhaust pipe.

#4 ·
I had a bad starter in my '99 9-3. The thing worked but there is a gear reduction planetary gear set inside that I was told is held together with plastic retainers. Those retainers had broken and the gears were nashing themselves together... I had it rebuilt for $100, all new bushings, bearings, brushing and a new gear set package..

to remove the starter looks worse then it actually was.. take your time, jack the car up as far as possible.. two bolts holding the starter (remove one from above and the other from below), two wires.. a little bleeding and a spattering of swearing, and it will be out.. about a hour coming out. (finding the bolts and the correct sockets), about 1/2 hour back in.. since I had the sockets ready..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.