SaabCentral Forums banner

coolant type

748 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ragtopcav 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 9-3 and the coolant low warning just came on. I went to the local partsource and they told me that I had to go to the dealership to get specific coolant for this car. is this true or is there anything that I can just get over the counter?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Find a better parts store....

Good luck !
There is nothing special about the Saab coolant or the requirements - but things do and will change.
Use the coolant mentioned in your manual
I recommend the anti-rust additive...

Important.. where did the coolant go ?
It does nor evaporate..:cheesy:

#3 ·
If you aren't sure what kind of coolant your car currently has in it, its highly advisable to flush it and replace with the coolant of your choice. You can use just about any kind of coolant you like, but you must be careful not to mix different types. Many of them have different additives and compositions that are not compatible with each other. Just because they are a similar color does not necessarily mean they are compatible. If you're sure your car has the OEM coolant in it, then add that. If theres any question of whats in there, flush it all out and fill it with your choice.

And as earthworm said, where did your coolant go? Leaking hoses are the most common and easiest to repair culprit, followed by a leaky radiator, and then the headgasket.

#4 ·
smodes said:
I have a 2000 9-3 and the coolant low warning just came on
Without wishing to appear patronising, but, did you assume the car was correct or did you check? Sometimes a coolant warning will trigger because the float level is playing up.
If you are loosing then find out where, if you can't use the cheapest for the time being, anti corrosion properties as well as anti freezing are equally key to engine longevity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.