SaabCentral Forums banner

Winter Care for Cloth-Top?

437 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  99Saabnut 
#1 ·
Hi, i'm a first time vert owner and ive been wondering if theres any precautions i should take during these horrid sleet covered months in the north. i was mainly concerned with too much weight on the top from ice, lots of snow, etc.
I baby my saab and if anything were to happen I would be heartbroken!:cry:

#2 ·
Ideally during winter it is best to keep it covered under a roof to keep snow and other crap off it.

I'm going to being storing my car outside for three weeks when I'm home for break and my plan is to keep the snow off as much as possible. I would never drive the car in the snow when they are salting the roads (salt + canvas is not a good mixture). DO not park under trees as snow or ice can fall from limbs and can cause damage.

Saab verts are probably the best top on the market for winter driving (thanks to the swedes and there harsh winters).

To help keep the water and other stuff from getting in the top I would use renevo products.

#3 ·
Yes. Around mid-September to early October, it is good to use a top cleaner (Renovo or RaggTop are two popular choices) followed by the water repellent treatment (again Renovo or RaggTop). These products perform best when applied and allowed to fully dry, hence the timing. If you have a garage, you can always apply them on the weekend, even now during this late, moisture laden season).

#4 ·
I drive my vert year-round as a daily commuter, and she sees about 600-750 miles a week for my drive. I do park in a garage at both home and work; so generally the only snow or ice she sees is during the drive; but this area is really heavy about salt use as well.

For care; I make sure to clean the car and especially the top as often as I can; but minimum once a month in the winter. You want to remove the salt and grit as soon as you can after any snow; and you want to keep the ice from too heavy a build up in bad weather. The top is made to stretch, so the weight won't do any long-term damage unless it actually breaks seams or punches through. Any minor stretching caused by the extra weight will tighten back up once the weight is gone for a couple days.

It is best to get a car cover for winter months if you have to keep your vert outside; just one more layer of protection from the worst of the conditions. When I do have snow or ice on the top; I'll use a stiff car brush to break it off as much as I can; without pushing too hard on the top itself. For cleaning and care, every spring I do the Ragg Topp treatment to clean it really well and protect it. The Renovo products really are great, but a bit overkill if you do it yearly, not to mention the excessive pricing.

I did renovo the first year I had the car, and have since used Ragg Topp. Both work well, so I'll likely do renovo every 5 years or so as needed, and keep the top refreshed with Ragg Topp in-between those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.