SaabCentral Forums banner

Bad inner CV joint?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Diosnoche 
#1 ·
I believe its time for me to replace my passenger side inner CV joint, but just would like some confirmation that it is in fact the problem.

Symptoms are as follows: heavy vibration under acceleration, especially when turning to the left, over rolling bumps, or with a passenger (it gets worse the more the passenger side suspension is compressed). No vibration at all when coasting. Very little or no vibration if turning right or otherwise unweighting the passenger suspension while accelerating. Vibration occurs at any speed. Car has 118k miles on it.

As for replacement parts, there are the following options:

OEM inner CV - $450
aftermarket inner CV - $130
complete reman axle - $75-125

The parts guy at the dealer suggested the reman axle, and this is the direction I'm leaning as its the most complete and least expensive. My car is auto and near stock power levels, so I'm not overly concerned about the strength of the axle. You wont find me at the dragstip with slicks in this car.

Thoughts on the symptoms/cause, and parts choices? I am also debating doing it myself vs. having a shop do it. I am a very competent mechanic, but I'm wondering if its worth just paying the shop the 1.8hrs of labor vs. me messing around with it in a cold garage, on a weekend where I can't get any additional parts should I need them until Monday.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
redrum said:
Anyone? I've seen many posts here about the inner CV...
My concern is that the problem may very well be the inner driver for the cv and replacing the cv or axle will not fix the problem. It is easy to tell if the driver is worn when the inner cv is removed but very difficult while still assembled. Really needs to be taken apart to know what needs to be replaced.

#4 ·
TTBOMK, Saab has never used CVs for the inner joint; instead a tripod joint is used, and this assembly is frightfully expensive.

At one time there was a procedure to turn the outer shell metal to equalize the wear. Check the old 900s for this, even the older 99s..
Are the differential bearings any good ?
Try repacking the old joints ??

#7 ·
I'd try posting this on the C900 section, the inner driver design is similar, they have cars with very , very high mileage problems over there...just do a search...

The WIS should have the wear limits for all the components..

#8 ·
Who in the world still fixes a CV driveshaft for their own car? It much cheaper to replace the whole driveshaft with a reman.

These CV driveshafts are balanced and are quite delicate believe it or not, so dismantaling it to replace a single component is out of the question unless you are extreemly skilled and have a means of checking if the shaft is balanced once reassembled. Delicate in the sense that you shouldn't allow the shaft at is universal joint to bend more than 30 degrees or so, and they shouldn't be hit or struck with a mallet when installing, anywhere.

When the driveshafts are bad they do begin to vibrate the vehicle, usually apparent when driving at highway speeds when under heavy acceleration, putting torque on the shaft will make it vibrate. So like driving at say 55mph, then pressing the gas pedal hard, but not hard enough to force the transmission to downshift, you'll feel a vibration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.