SaabCentral Forums banner

SRS sensor issue

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  forcebomr 
#1 ·
I have a '95 900S that I got recently. It has its issues of course, but the inspection is this month and the major thing that would fail it is the SRS light on the dash is on. The previous owner said that they had the airbag tested or something and that there is nothing wrong with the actual airbag, but there is something wrong with the sensor. Does anyone know anything about resetting/replacing/fixing the seensor?

#2 ·
Very rarely is it the actual Airbag. I dont know if your car has side bags or not but, there are impact sensors in the doors if you do, and the sensor for frontal impact i think is located within the control module? Maybe?

As with all air bag systems you should really take it to a dealer and have them sort it out.

It could also be a seatbelt tensioner too, so, bite the bullet on this one take it to the dealer and have them tell you whats wrong with it for sure. Then we may be able to walk you through the repair.

If it were me...I'd let the dealer tidy this one up,...cant compromise saftey when you need it...capiesh?

#3 ·
The inspection will depend on which state you live - that is an unknown..

IF the '95 is the same as a '96; then all the sensors(probably one) are in the SRS control module rear of the handbrake control.
A nifty system, indeed.

Kpa is absolutely correct; make friends with your dealer; have him find out exactly what is wrong...
And there is a company that rebuilds expensive components (BAA ??)

#4 ·
I live in Virginia, it will fail inspection if that light is on. As for the dealer, there is a Saab dealer around here, but I don't know of the original dealer of the car, or if that even matters. And when you say the system is behind the handbrake controls, are you talking about in the centre consol or somewhere else?

#5 ·
forcebomr said:
Does anyone know anything about resetting/replacing/fixing the seensor?
Our air bag system doesn't use external sensors to operate, the "sensor" is the entire air bag control module located on the floor, behind the handbrake, under the centre console. You can actually see it if you remove the ashtry in the rear seat area near the floor.

Many people have reported in the past that removing either of the front seats can trip the SRS light, perhaps this may be what happened by the previous owner.

#7 ·
"Un-tripping" has to be done at the dealer via Tech II, TTBOMK..

Unless your local friendly indie has the 3 to 5 grand for the complete unit and the training.

#10 ·
A Tech2 is a type of automotive computer scanning / programming device. Here is an example of one model:

This one pictured retails for approximately $4203.80 USD (OTC-3646). Its very expensive for the average to small garage to afford once you include the cost of subscription updates.

#11 ·
#12 ·
If it is indeed the clockspring assembly then it would be best to get the car to a Saab dealership, have them use the TECH2 to scan the airbag system, which would tell the technician exactly what the problem is. There is no safe way to diagnose a fault clockspring assembly without dismantaling the steering wheel/column.

The airbag is considered an explosive device, you don't want to f%ck around with it, it might blow right in your face. Let an experienced technician look after this problem.

#13 ·
Leon said:
That's interesting, my dad was talking about something in the steering column. My dad does most of the work on our cars, he always has, so he knows what he is doing. I'll show him that link, thanks. All else fails, there is a dealership nearby...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.