SaabCentral Forums banner

Leaking Oil, Time for new Head?

645 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  KaMiKaZi_t0M 
#1 ·
Well, I seem to be leaking some oil. It seems to be comeing out from where the headgasket would be, so I'm thinking it's about time for a new one. It's on 182k miles and original head, but aside from a little leak it's not in too bad of shape. I can buy the gasket itself for only a couple of bucks, but I know that they are an expensive job due to the labor. My dad and I are alright with cars, but never worked on Saabs. So my question is:
1. Is there a tutorial on how to replace a head?
2. Is it actully worth it?

Thanks,
Tom
EDIT: Looking at an old recept from 2003 from the previous owner I found that 2003 the head was leaking, Oil seepage shift shaft seal, and oil leak from distrubutor.
Can I do anything myself to fix those?

#2 ·
Oil leak is usually not a reason to replace head or head gasket. Leaking oil might be be from areas other than which you suspect. Head replacement, or head gasket replacement is usually deemed necessary due to 'no go' issues and/or coolant loss and/or major obvious problems.

Saabs are not different than any other car, except they are (typically) easy to repair due to fairly basic mechanics (4cyl, OHC chain driven) and accessibility. If you are good with other makes, Saab should be straight-forward.

Edit: forgot to answer your question - Based upon mileage of your engine, oil seepage around seals wouldn't concern me too much, but how much does it leak? i.e. 1 quart per 1000-1500 miles or less I would think might merit concern based upon your current mileage. Otherwise, I'd keep an eye on it and put aside a little each month for the day you do have to fix it.....

#3 ·
The big deal with the head gasket is maintaining a separation of coolant,oil, and combustion.

If the oil "leak" is external and under control, just wipe and wipe again - in 50,000 miles you may wipe up one quart of oil :cheesy:
Your cam cover may be seeping a little, this migrates to the floor or street eventually; then without a good cleaning, the source may be unknown..
http://www.900saab.com/dizzy.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.