SaabCentral Forums banner

Balance Chain Removal

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  PMI 
#1 ·
So ive been searching through the posts about it and its benefits and what it does but I cannot find out how to actually remove the balance chain. After all I do not want to accidentally cut the timing chain and say ooooops. I have the 2 turbo engine and it is making some suspicious clanks around that region. I will drop pan but I do not know from there. Anywhoo whatever help/experience you can give me will be greatly rewarded by karma of course. OK thankyou.

#2 · (Edited)
I had the balance chain cut and taken out almost 40K miles ago, at the same time as the bearings were replaced.

The timing chain links are almost twice the size as the balance chain, measuring across the chain. Hard to confuse the two, if you see them side by side.

Did you take out and measure the timing chain tensioner, by any chance? Normally that is the first step if you suspect chain noise and excessive wear on the chains and guides.

edit:

Oh, and I forgot, viewed from the bottom, from under the oil pan, there is a chain guide over the timing chain. Also, DIP's web site shows pics of the disassembled engine, and the relative positions of the two chains during assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.