SaabCentral Forums banner

Lateral Vibration

618 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hkayssi 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Been a while since I posted in here, which is a good sign - the car's been treating me great so far. It decided to misbehave though, so it's time to give her some lovin'.

Here's the issue: When I accelerate, there is a side-to-side shaking in the car. I thought it was a wheel balance issue, but I got the wheels balanced twice and it didn't fix it. It happens at around 40 mph the worst, but you can feel it a bit almost any speed. When there is more weight in the car or when I'm going up a hill it is worse. It is drive-train related, not an engine vibration (I pushed in the clutch while I was accelerating to see if the shaking stopped and it did).

Anyway, I have a few ideas of what it might be but wanted to see if you guys had any ideas?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Son of a....I've been really hoping it wasn't CV joints. That was what I was thinking before I posted this...:(

I'm going back home in a week (finals almost over!!!), so I can have my mechanic check it out then. It's possible that I would be able to DIY on this one, but I'm much more nervous about screwing stuff up on this car than I was on my old one, so I'll probably just pay to get it done right.

I hate being a poor college kid:confused:.

#4 ·
Relax, Bad tie rods, ball joints, transmission mounts & engine mounts and a bad / cracked / broken coil spring cause that too.

Also SAABs need the wheels to be perfectly balanced. The tire shops do the balance to a tolerence of 0.25; not good enough for a SAAB. There's a special machine that forces the wheel to be balanced on the car itself.

I just had the same problem and changed my 17" Viggen set with the winter wheels. The vibration went away.

I need to fix or balance the wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.