SaabCentral Forums banner

Shocks/Struts

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  01Brian 
#1 ·
Some of you might remember me as the kid who didn't know jack s**t about Saab suspension. :cheesy: And I had another thread about it a while ago which said I was going to get new front and rear suspension and I was suposed to that monday. Now comes the sad part. That Saturday night I returned home from a family party at about 10:45 pm eastern time and pulled up in my long a** driveway on a big farm in the middle of nowere, I lock up the good ol' Saab and go inside and catch some sleep. So I wake up and call my cousin to make sure he made it home alright and didn't ruin that POS BMW he drives being as he was quite drunk. (Off the record it's actually a nice M3.) Well anyways, we decide to go get some breakfast at a local iHop. Now here it comes. :cry: I walk outside and press the unlock button on my baby from the passanger side and open that door to throw a book i had for him on the floor really quick. I do so and walk around to the drivers side ready to get going and what do I find...? A smashed window and a door that has been crow-barred no less than 4" away from the top of the car. Of course I shout f*** loud enough for anyone in a 10 mile radius to hear and open the car up. I look around the whole inside and nothing is missing. Not my huge book of CDs, not my new aftermarket radio, and not even the change I had in the nifty little change hold in the center console. Only my window and door. It was a horrible site and if anybody would've been around on my property that wasn't a friend they would've caught a bat to the shins very quickly. :x

Well that ends my sad Saab story, and now begins my tale of my putting said suspension on my car this coming weekend. Only problem is I don't know if the shocks I'm planning on getting ar right for me...

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP791164...partType,00660/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

and

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP795619...partType,00661/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

S'alright?

And how in the hell do I put a "strut insert" in? Haha. Do I need a spring compressor or any of that hoo-ha? Please help.:cheesy:

See less See more
#3 ·
earthworm said:
http://www.saabcentral.com/~munki/technical/suspension_steering/strut_assy.htm

Thanks to Munki..

Where did the crime take place ?
The criminal lives in fear, he may have paniced..but the damage is done.
It took place in my long a** driveway, about 200 yards off any road, on my parents farm in the middle of absolute nowere to be honest. And I have a few suspects of who it might be but I can't go around just beating people down like the mob if i'm not sure it was them. :p And thanks for the link. I was looking more for how to get the shock in the strut after I take the assembly off.

#5 ·
Crime is no longer restricted to the inner cities, the automobile makes this possible.

Solution - Upgrade child protective services to the point where they can make unannounced visits without messing up.
This will take time, effort, money, decision making....
Right now, The decision is to live in fear and shaft the children...Bring back the true playgrounds and eliminate the safety-nazi agenda..

A body nut secures the insert to the strut body. Remove and dump... A good big vise is necessary , but maybe two large pipe wrenches will suffice..The body nut is on tight..An air hammer is nice to have as well. A spring compressor is a must..
I've changed the inserts in the VW struts, Saabs are similar, hopefully easier to work on...

#7 ·
earthworm said:
Crime is no longer restricted to the inner cities, the automobile makes this possible.

Solution - Upgrade child protective services to the point where they can make unannounced visits without messing up.
This will take time, effort, money, decision making....
Right now, The decision is to live in fear and shaft the children...Bring back the true playgrounds and eliminate the safety-nazi agenda..

A body nut secures the insert to the strut body. Remove and dump... A good big vise is necessary , but maybe two large pipe wrenches will suffice..The body nut is on tight..An air hammer is nice to have as well. A spring compressor is a must..
I've changed the inserts in the VW struts, Saabs are similar, hopefully easier to work on...
Ok. I've got an air hammer so that's no probelm, and I have a spring compressor somewhere in the workshop. But that'll take hours to find so I'll just borrow one from autozone for free. :cheesy:

nocluetim: I've gotten a dog since then actually. And thanks so mch for the link. :eek::cheesy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.