SaabCentral Forums banner

Considering a 9-3; Talk Me Out of It

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  KaiserDanimal 
#1 ·
Hey All. It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm still here. As you may recall, this is my car:

1994 900S 2.3 with 194k on the clock (though most of it's been rebuilt, see http://www.900saab.com for more details).

I've been bitten by the turbo bug and am considering selling the '94 and buying a '01-'02 9-3 SE with preferrably under 90k miles.

I know the problems the '94 has and I've been through most of it's systems. In your opinion, is it worth moving to the newer car? Keep in mind, my insurance on the 900 runs $88 per year and registration is presently $23 per year. The '94 gets 26 mpg city and 34 mpg highway. That being said, however, the new car would have options the '94 doesn't and the turbo engine would be a nice upgrade in power. what do you all think?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen your past posts and know how much time/money you have put into your '94 2.3. I don't think you will get the money that the car/you deserves.

However, after experiencing my friends n/a 900s; the difference is night and day compared to the turbo. If I was you, I would just keep the '94 and maybe settle for a '99 SE, no cool ground effects, but you get the T5.

#8 ·
t-7 has more bhp :p

I like my 9-3, though I've thought of going newer--and hence leaving the og 9-3 and NG 900 peeps behind :roll:

It will be a definite performance boost and an SE would be nice.

But on another note...88 bucks a year to insure! :eek: Wow!

I pay near a grand a year to insure the 9-3...I am a tad younger than you though :cheesy:

#9 ·
i would have been the 1st to talk you out of even buying a saab about 2 years ago after spending alot of money on a 9000 cs turbo (R.I.P to a good car :cry: ) then for the gear box to blow and oil flooding my works carpark and then when moving it the sound of pennys in a tin is the only words i could describe it. then i found my 98 9-3 and i love it its great fun to drive. love it to bitts GET ONE you will not regret it.:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

#10 ·
wow, hearing good things about the 99 9-3. i'm actually going to look at one on saturday.:D assuming it's not a death trap of a black hole for money like the last couple saabs i've seen, am i hearing reccomendations from everyone here?

and radare, keep your 900 and finish your site! i have it bookmarked and love that car.

#11 ·
Alright - I'll play devil's advocate for ya since I was just in your shoes very recently.....

1. Your car is beautiful (as is the 9-3, don't get me wrong) - but I love the fact that the NG900's, especially ones in immaculate condition like yours, are becoming harder and harder to come by - I love that we're becoming a rare breed

2. You know your car inside & out and have been through most of the issues - you do not know what would need to be done to the 9-3 (not at first anyway). If you are a wrencher and are confident that you can save tons of $$ by doing most things yourself, then disregard this ENTIRELY - but if you're like me, then most things will be beyond your capabilities and cost a lot of dough

3. I love the 900's legacy - the badge has been around forever - but I love nostalgia - I'm a fool that way :D

4. On a stranger note - I love the NG900 bumpers - very European with the all black plubber tops!

5. Of course - all of this is coming from a guy that already has a turbo :roll: - but I'll always love that little 16-valver, too, hmmmm......now I'M torn....lol

#13 ·
hkayssi said:
Radare, buy a 1999 9-3 SE with a bad turbo or a bad engine and rebuild it. Those cars sell for alot less than a $1000 and if you do the rebuild the way you did the 2.3, that car will last forever with your immaculate level of maintenance :cheesy:
That's a fantastic idea and it goes along with what PMI wrote above. :cheesy:

#15 ·
There is something very right about a Saab with a turbo. But it saddens to me to think of your current car going to the wrong home. You're supposed to collect them! :)

My only issue with a 01-02 9-3 SE is potential for sludge. But if you're prepared to address that, then I think you'l have a great car, but it won't routinely get 26/34 mpg...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.