SaabCentral Forums banner

P1124 issue resolved (i hope!)

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  xhawksaab 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post my results. My "Check Engine" light had been on since the day after I bought my car (the diagnosis from the guy I bought it from was the computer was detecting the car running either lean or rich for a very small time, but enough to trip the light).

Anyway, with the help of my friend's Palm Pilot with OBD software installed (quite awesome, actually - you can track pretty much anything - horsepower, torque, engine performance, etc. with graphs), I found that the front and rear oxygen sensors weren't performing. They're supposed to return a voltage of .3 to .9 (if I remember correctly), and they were returning nothing.

So, I replaced the front sensor (easier than I thought it was, thanks to other posts on this board). The one I took off was coated in carbon, which made the job pretty messy. I used a third party 02 sensor, and spliced it in (ran into a little snag - there were four wires on the original (two black, one white, and a grey), and three on the new one (two black and white). The gray one was a ground, and so I just put on a crimp ring connector, and attached it to a bolt nearby). The rear O2 sensor is just used to check the Cat, so I didn't bother replacing it.

I also cleaned out the MAF sensor with this stuff .

Anyways, I put everything back together, and started the car. It started out fine, and then the car idled down almost until it stalled, and then oscillated up and down until it found the correct idle point (the ECU working itself out I assume).

Since then, everything's been fine (gas mileage has improved, at least!)

Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone else with similar problems looking for a solution (like I was several weeks ago). It's been two weeks, and no "Check Engine" light!! *knocks on wood*

See less See more
#2 ·
My check engine light has been on for a while now too. My mechanic replaced the old gas cap with a new one and put a seal around it. The light had been off for maybe 2 days, but now the light is back on again. Not sure what the problem could be. My average MPG on the SID reads 21.5, and I'm not a leadfoot. Maybe it could be my oxygen sensors too? Theres been diagnostics run on my car.. I would think the diagnostics would have said it needed new sensors...?

#3 ·
It very well could be the oxygen sensors. Have you had the codes read at all? You can have them pulled at any AutoZone or Advance Autoparts stores for free.

I'd try cleaning the MAf first though (it's definitely cheaper). I'm getting pretty much the same gas mileage as you are now - the car's performance wasn't really the motivating factor in replacing the O2 sensor, it was more to get rid of that annoying light!

#4 ·
Will check out that MAF sensor spray. I have had the codes run on the car. At Autozone, it said there may be a vacuum leak or a hose might not be connected right. My mechanic has a diagnostics tester which tells you what exactly the problem is. He gave me a new gas cap and a sealer around the cap. The light went off but now its back on... so I would think the codes he ran would have said something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.