SaabCentral Forums banner

Hatch leak & Climate Control Lights

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr. Borth 
#1 ·
Hello all - Let me first say, I'm a "reformed" VW/Audi guy and now love the quirky Saabs. After being on local VW sites and VW Vortex for several years - it is so refreshing to see people here actually HELPING others and not flaming their threads with unwanted opinions and name-calling. Users like Earthworm are so patient & knowledgeable (I know there are MANY more of you) that people actually feel welcomed - I would honestly like to say "thanks" for that. I have a 95 SE Turbo 2-door 5-sp manual - it's my first Saab - and I love everything about it. I've been reading for months and haven't found anything regarding a water leak yet, so.........

1. I found that water is making its way in both rear taillights - removed, dried, wax-caulked everything back up and STILL getting water. Does the rear bumper need to be removed? Anyone else had this problem?

2. I have seen bits & pieces of this topic, so I apologize if this can be found in ABUNDANCE somewhere else, but my climate control buttons and LCD screen all work 100% - but the buttons don't light up anymore - quick fix? Is soldering involved? If so, is it an obvious place? I have many friends in high, talented places that will help for alcohol - God bless them.

Thanks for your input and very happy to be here,
Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to Saab Central, Mr Borth, and thanks for the compliment -there are others here who deserve it more...

The ACC, I have not, but I am certain that all lights up.
Disassemble the switches and there should be small bulbs inside..

#3 ·
You may just have to spring for new taillight gaskets (about $18 each), or check some of the other places where others have had leaks, like the strut towers and the sunroof drains.

Pop out the ACC panel and you'll see the bulb sockets on the back. The easiest and least destructive way I've found to get it out is to take off the kick panel on the drivers's side (only 2 screws) and push the ACC panel out from the back. Unfortunately, the bulbs are a dealer-only item. You can find bulbs in the right size if you look hard enough, but they're all too dim.

#4 ·
Actually the bulbs you can get from GenuineSaab and eEuroParts - unless you want to go to the dealership. you might need to call either to have them get them for you - but I find generally cheaper.

Now if I could just get my one tail light to quit getting water INTO it - I would be happier ;) I need to reglue the seam I guess.....

#5 ·
Earthy, Jeremy, Flashy - thanks for the insight.

I'm making one last effort next Wed. with my buddy to stop the leak - but you're right - I may just need new gaskets.

Thanks for the bulb info - I would have thought for sure it was more complicated than that - I may as well check that out while we're disassembling things

How would I check the sunroof drains? There are some water stains in the headliner come to think of it........hmmmmm.......

#6 ·
well the sunroof drains....there are whole items here on that - but basically - you can blow compressed air up them....but keep in mind that generally they are simple press connections - and can separate. Basically best method is to do it right - remove the headliner - and fix things :eek:

#8 ·
The sunroof drain hoses both poke into rubber fittings in the floor of the hatch. They're at the far rear corners, back by the taillights, so that's one place to check. They're known to come out every now and then, and sometimes the fittings in the floor can get full of stuff.

#9 ·
Here you go :cheesy:

The tail light gaskets leak but they're not the only cause of leak.

You may have water from the drain hoses being unhooked and drain into the trunk insted of through the drains.

The antenna may leak or the drain hose that drains it may be unhooked from the drain hole.
http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/a/mattiaso/WebPages/Auto/trunk.htm

Inspect the shock mounts for holes that may be letting water inside the trunk
Check links below

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=685676#post685676

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58057&highlight=rust

#10 ·
Mr. Borth said:
Hello all - Let me first say, I'm a "reformed" VW/Audi guy and now love the quirky Saabs. After being on local VW sites and VW Vortex for several years - it is so refreshing to see people here actually HELPING others and not flaming their threads with unwanted opinions and name-calling.
Having an old A4 to also maintain I sometimes frequent Audi forums and I certainly concur regarding the attitude difference between those and this forum. Take a pat on the back Saabers for keeping this site user friendly and being generous with your help!

#11 ·
Hey Wonky - thanks for confirming my comment - it truly is a different breed here. Maybe it's the quirky nature of Saabs themselves that only lend them to a more sophisticated and limited audience - I don't know. But, I do know that I really appreciate everyone's input regarding this. I searched last night and discovered a lot more helpful info on this topic that I never found before.

And hkayssi - Thank you very much for the links - I printed off all of the info so my friend and I have great references when working on this issue next week. Hopefully - no more moisture in my Swedish ****!

On a fun note - just had my Hakkapeliittas put on yesterday and, wow, what a world of difference in the central Ohio snow! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.