SaabCentral Forums banner

2001 9-3 Ignition switch stuck???

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Tailspin 
#1 ·
I was not able to turn on my 2001 9-3 this morning. The ignition switch seemed stuck and was not able to turn. Temps got down to 2f last night and am not sure if they had something to do with it. Anything I can do???? Is this a common problem? Any tips on getting this to work?

#2 ·
This, "no turn due to the bitter cold" is a problem for most cars .. But the better cars may have solved the quagmire of non-functional controls - this takes respect of the car-owner and clever engineering..

Some heat the key with a match, I do this sometimes, it usually works.
I also use a Lock-Ease oil..Also on the market is a lock de-icer. The exterior locks really take a hit here..This is where I break out the propane torch....:cheesy:

The manufacturer could try using a little resistor heater at the lock cylinder, but I do not know how well this would work over the long term..

#5 ·
earthworm said:
Some heat the key with a match, I do this sometimes, it usually works. I also use a Lock-Ease oil..Also on the market is a lock de-icer. The exterior locks really take a hit here..This is where I break out the propane torch....:cheesy:

Unfortunately this has happened to me a few times and i tried heating the key with a match for a good half hour or so but i still couldn't turn the key. As for the propane torch haha (really cool idea by the way) my key and keyless are one piece as the car is an '01.

So, more or less....earthworm or anyone else: Have you tried lock de-icer on an ignition? Just want to make sure there is no potential for damage to electrical components before i do it.

#6 ·
Our 99 9-3 has this problem acting up, let me bump this! :D I am also interested in some sort of lock lube as the key has trouble turning even when it's not that cold out. How aggravating. Can usually turn the key after a lot of fiddling and attempting but very un-luxurious to say the least :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.