SaabCentral Forums banner

Cold belt noise?

731 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Eric in Lockport N.Y. 
#1 ·
Here is the scenario, the AC Pump bearing failed and the pulley failed therefore seized and smoked the belt and the idler pulley ( was traveling at high speed at the time - what a thrill to lose Power steering then!).
Since then I have replaced the AC pump, the idler pulley and the serp belt. I did buy a good belt (Gates $55). The problem now is that when it is under 55 degrees F, on a start up there is a very loud annoying belt whining noise that lasts for some time period depending on how cold it actually is outside, the colder the louder and longer the noise lasts. This morning it was 9F outside and the noise went on for 3 minutes or more.
I have also replaced the battery in the last month or so.
It is a 2003 Saab 9 3 convertible, 53k miles. It is loaded with all the bells and whistles.
ANy help with possible diagnosis would be GREATLY appreciated, I use the Saab every day and travel a minimum of 75 miles.
thanks

#2 ·
What we do not know is the fit of the belt to the pulleys. Some American made belts may be the correct length but not the correct width for an import.

This is my guess... In this day and age, not to have internationally interchangeable parts within the same company is not good :nono;

Your 9-3 has but one idler pulley, correct ?
What was the belt number ?

#6 ·
Me

I did the repairs, I got a rebuilt AC compressor - got the belt - the pulley and in my driveway removed the trashed AC comp, installed the idler and put on the belt.
I have usually had pretty good luck with Carquest Auto Parts so I was not all that concerned I was not paying Saab's price for these parts.
I will look at how the belt is sitting on the pulleys - although it is too cold today to do anything outside.

While I have your ear - I am a Saab newbie - so can you explain the 9-3 thing to me - I mean is my car a 02 1/2 or is it a 03 like it says on the title. I am being dumb right??? But maybe it matters when getting parts - do I say 02 or 03? Just wondering.

#8 ·
The belt you bought should be fine, as well as the idler pulley (so long as it was the same diameter as the old one). The part I'm interested in is the tensioner, and its pulley. How good is your tension on the tensioner, and is there any wobble on the pulley? It the pulley spinning too freely (no grease left) ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.