SaabCentral Forums banner

The little Cabin Hot or Cold temp Knob busted!

836 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  GaryG 
#1 ·
So, it just got pretty cold outside, I havent driven my Saab in a very long while so the temp was set all the way to "cool". When I hastily went to turn the fricking heat on, the knob broke. So basically, anyone know where to get one and I'm more interested what Saab is going to charge me for this. I'm guessing since its poorly manufactured and GM now owns them, ummm let me see..... $30????:evil:

seriously though, anyone know?

#3 ·
As a preventative measure, I put a little metal clamp around the white plastic knob where it connects to the shaft. This supports the plastic and prevents it from splitting. Those little compression clamps that come with fuel line filters work great but you have to trim off a little on one of the tabs so it doesn't catch when the knob turns.

If your internal vent control is stiff you'll still need to lube it as well.

#4 ·
GaryG said:
As a preventative measure, I put a little metal clamp around the white plastic knob where it connects to the shaft. This supports the plastic and prevents it from splitting. Those little compression clamps that come with fuel line filters work great but you have to trim off a little on one of the tabs so it doesn't catch when the knob turns.

If your internal vent control is stiff you'll still need to lube it as well.
Nice! thats such a good idea, thanks man!

#7 ·
I had the same problem, my vent location knob broke and then one night while trying desparately to turn on the defroster for the windshield I thought I'd be clever and use the unbroken knob on the vent location place and broke that too... What I ended up doing was putting a small metal spring around the little plastic pice and loads of epoxy on it. They seem to still be okay.

#8 ·
First remove the side kick panels of the console to gain access to the heating / ventilation parts. The left knob operates a cable. Trace it to the opposite end where it operates the control valve and spray the ends with some light lube. It should move freely.

The right knob rotates the "toilet paper roll" which connects to the air handler unit. I sprayed some light lube into the air handler connection and moved it a bit. The console knob now has much less resistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.